05 Electrics

hoodie2

I noticed in the TBM test that Mike Rapley said that the Beta's electrics were still dodgy. Have they not fixed the problem yet? If not where are the weaknesses? I've heard that the Stators are weak and have also noticed that the CDI's seem to pack in. I havent heard whether they suffered a lot of failures in Scotland this year. I like the Rev 3 a lot but would be put off buying one if it's going to let me down.

I don't know anyone with an '04 or '05 Rev-3 who's had electrical problems and there are a LOT of Betas 'round here (cue Beta owner with a blown stator proving me wrong in 3, 2, 1...). There certainly was an issue with some earlier bikes but this has become the Beta's iconic problem in the same way that everyone associates Gassers with exploding gearboxes, Shercos with disintegrating big end bearings etc., none of which are necessarily true these days but are what everyone remembers.

I've had an 02 and 04 Beta and currently have an 05 bike. Each bike was/is used at least once a week in all sorts of crappy weather - no problems with stators, cdi's and other electrickery components so far ;)

If you listened to all the different scare stories about each brand of bike then you'd end up with no bike at all. As NS states, each brand of bike has had problems at some time or another and **** tends to stick long after the manufacturers sort the problem out.

Buy the Beta and give 'John Lampkin Imports' a call if you ever have a problem, like most businesses - they will stand behind their product and will try their best to assist you where possible.

I've got an 02 Rev3 which I've now ridden 184 times...on average about 2 and a half hours per ride (you can do the maths)

Anyway..to get to the point, I've had NO problems with any electrics. Very rarely ride in the wet here, if that makes any difference....mostly dry and dusty.

I would still give the Rev a try if I was you! ;)