Comments On 2011/12/13 Models?

eugenevd

Hi trialsters,

After realising I'm never gonna stop doing trials :D I'm thinking of upgrading my '04 Rev3 270 to a newer bike.

I've been reading through the forums for comments and things to take note of about the various year models,

and I've found some on the Evo '09/'10 [For example: Link 1]. Talk of rear wheel bearings, soft rear shock etc.

Any advice /comments /suggestions on the 2t '11/'12/'13 models,

whats good/bad/problems about them?

handling characteristics?

motor characteristics (I'm aiming for a 250)?

working on the bike

I mean, comparing models, so should I rather go for an 2012, or a 2011...etc..., anything a pain / better one year over another?

[1] http://www.trialscen...ow-please-help/

Edited by eugenevd

I think newer is always better but money must be a deciding factor or you wouldn't be asking about used bikes

I went from an 07 Rev to an 010 Evo and there is a big difference in both engine and chassis balance

Quite a bit easier to ride overall

I'm thinking you will be doing wheel bearings on whatever you buy, the parts are just small and light, pop the seal and repack with the best grease you can

As far as I know 09 thru 012 are same geometry with suspension calibration differences but I'm not the expert, maybe Outlaw Dave can chime in

As for reliability, they are as good or better than anything else out there, machines have issues sometimes, they all do but both of my Beta's have only required routine maintenance, nothing has really failed

Evo, is a big step up from the Rev. and a step back in one area.

my Rev3 was a turning machine, it would turn most corners others wont without a hop.

engine is basicly the same, with some power updates..thats a mixed blessing,

if your used to a Rev, then you will likely push into a 5 on a corner with an Evo the first couple rides.

once you figure the Evo out..your in heaven.

the bads.

like all Beta Trials ..the kick stand sux. until 2013 they just didnt seem to give a hoot about the stand.

same for the stock pegs..like they came off a Shwinn 10 speed.. take em off, and buy some nice pegs.

09 t0 2011 Evos had weak springs that sagged pretty fast..easy to fix with a new set, might ask the seller if they have already done so, 09 10 Evos had some frame cracking issues...most were warrantied out, you can have a Beta dealer find out with the vin#.

like the Revs the Evo 09 10, had the tubeless rim with rim seal...they leaked, i got so sick of pumping the rear tire, i upgraded to the new rim for 700.00.

rear fender...pricey..and they break easy..just like the Rev.

trimming the underside lip were it wraps over the air box, and replacing the 2 rear screws with plastic screws will save you 200.00 down the road.

clutch is pretty much unchanged for the Evo, other then the levers and perches, use good light oil, and dont use ATF..youll be fine..ask the seller what oil, and how often he changed it..if he used ATF..youll be installng a new clutch pretty soon..like any used Trials bike..chain sprokets, shock linkage, ect..ask the seller if they greased and maintained..ask for records if they have them,..and avoid a Pros old bike..its been ridden hard...real hard, and dropped alot..pass it up, and let someone else enjoy it..best deal youll find is a older riders bike, thats been riding for years, and knows how to take care of a motorycle..

just ask lots of questions, and take it for a ride in daylight

Good points by both other people that responded, although we have never heard of front end washing out on an Evo - they do turn tighter than any other bike on the market. - The 09 did have smaller rear wheel bearings, which needed greasing with "Good" stuff - Beta went back to the 6004 bearing for 2010, Re: Frame cracking - only a few of the early 09's had this problem, we had none in Western Canada. - As Chuck says all warranty items are not an issue with Beta. - The 2013 bike has a totally new frame using Hydro forming - looks great, is lighter and also holds more fuel - sidestands on earlier models. like most bikes were poor - the alloy 2013 is great, just like the Sherco unit. - Pegs are strong, but not everybody likes them - we fit a lot of Costa stuff on the bikes. Clutch & tranny on the 013 are the same as the 2012 Factory - super smooth.

Quality is #1. - we re-route the fuel line on the 2013 and fit a fuel filter - not sure why they didn't come stock this year. - things to check on - a used bike - kickstart bolt, - screw that holds the CDI, - motor mounts and of course spokes in the wheels. - Like 0007 says, things work loose on any competition bike, and linkage bearings should be greased during routine winter maintenance.

i know of 4, 09 and 10 Evo frames that were replaced here in Colorado, washing out isnt the issue. the springs are weak, and wear out fast, i had to adjust mine as hard as they would go to get any action from them.

unless you weigh under 165LBs. they for lack of a better word..suk..

updating the front and rear springs was the best upgrade i did to mine.

the wheel bearings arent that big an issue if you grease them with regular maint, as well as the shock linkage.

when i ordered my new bike this year, i added the heavy Red springs, now that the bike is broke in, it works very well.

for a newer rider, or someone that doesnt ride the upper classes, the springs may not be an issue, if your over 200 LBS, they will be.

Sorry to hijack but @ chucknnver, im on a 2013 evo and lately changed to ATF dex 2. It has really improved clutch feel and has stopped any lurching forward when cold etc. I only did this 3 rides ago. Why do you say I'll need a new clutch soon? Wear out faster with atf or because of swelling? Should I get it out quick or is Dex 2 ok with the new 2013 plates?

Any advice much appreciated.

unless you use Auto Trac. it will swell the discs.i may have the name wrong, its the GM transfer case fluid,

i had nothing but probems using ATF. i use MTL 85WT, or Elf and change it ever 3 events..if not more.

if you update to the smooth clutch slave, youll be much happier...

i did that on my 09, and loved it..i dont ride 30 foot splatters, so i dont need the in and out clutch, but i like them to work smooth.

never heard of the front wheel hitting the pipe.. anything can happen i guess, i installed an S3 T pipe, and loved it, really smoothed out the power band.

iv heard guys having good luck with ATF in the gassers, but no good things in the Betas,

use what the manual tells you, and you cant go wrong.

i switched to the 4T this year, and its a learning curv all its own

Edited by chuckindenver

The fixings & bolts seem to be very cheap quality on the '13 bike, alot of the heads seem to be corroding after only a few rides.

I have removed & greased all the bolts when it was brand new before i rode the bike, but some of the allen bolt heads are really quite soft.

I'm starting to go through them now with better quality items.

Yes the front wheel hits the pipe on mine and my mates '13 bike also.

• 1 month later...