Oils

slapshot 3

Getting ready to put the beast back together just looking for a bit of advice, what does everyone consider the best oil to use in the engine/clutch of the TLR 250

Don't just want to throw anything in there

dy

• Like 1

Silkolene Pro4

Is Pro4 the fully synthetic Silkolene oil?

I tried it in my road going Honda (see Picture by my name) a few years ago but thought it was rather thin & gave a relatively high oil consumption (All RC30's use a bit of oil due to design of engine). I am now using Mobil 1 fully synthetic in that road bike which significantly reduced oil consumption.

Hence I have tried NOT to use Silkolene for anything since this. I have Putoline Semi Synthetic in both TLR's at the moment and am happy with this oil - with this the oil comes out clean after each 2 - 3 trials. in the past I have used Good quality semi synthetic car oil (changing every 2nd trial) with no clutch slip problems but this will open a new discussion with many guys condeming me for this - these days a good bike oil aint that more expensive than car oil.

In reality any good oil of the correct viscosity & specification will do as long as you change it regularly & clean the filter screen. The centrifugal filter, once you know how your bike 'behaves' can be cleaned probably once or twice a year - I've never found anything to wory me in it.

There are pictures of an oil cooler equiped TLR in previous messages - perhaps the extra 300 - 500cc of oil capacity when a cooler is fitted is of equal befefit to the cooling effect on a TLR since the speeds the bike does are relatively low & air flow through a cooler will also be low.

A QUESTION FOR HONDA RS?

I HAVE A HONDA TLM260 WHICH THE CLUTCH SLIPS ON, COULD THE OIL BE TO BLAME? WHICH OIL DO YOU RECOMMEND AND HOW MUCH SHOULD I PUT IN IT?

THANKS JOHN

PS THANKS FOR THE INFO ABOUT THE MONTESA 314 REAR GUARD FITTING MY BIKE.