Twin Brothers Take On The Scottish

ssdt news

BullockSeventeen-year-old twin brothers Brad and Dec Bullock are gradually coming to terms with the Scottish Six Days Trial (SSDT), with this being the first time that either has competed in the world famous event. The teenagers from Tarvin near Chester have grown up riding trials, but have never witnessed the SSDT first hand prior to making their debut this week.

With the exception of their riding numbers - Brad [268] and Dec [267] - spectators this week will have found it difficult to distinguish between the two brothers with both their appearance and riding style being almost identical. Sibling rivalry has been present since their very first trial aged seven, when Dec won and Brad finished second, and since that moment the brothers have used their inter-family competition to drive themselves forward.

After the first four days of this year's SSDT Dec once again holds the upper hand and currently leads his brother Brad by forty-one marks. Both have competed on the world stage with Brad achieving his best result at this level when he placed eleventh at the Spanish round last year. Dec made the long trip to Japan just over a week ago without his brother and recorded his highest finish at the FIM Trial World Championship when he came home in eighth spot to make the lone and long journey very worthwhile.

Speaking about his SSDT experience Brad said. "It's been a great week so far and I have really enjoyed it, though if I am honest I have struggled due to my fitness. I have had a few problems with the bike, but we have got those sorted, so the bad result on Wednesday was down to me."

Brad continued, "The days are much longer and tougher than I expected, it's OK to read about this event in the magazines or to watch it on DVD, but it is totally different in reality. You need to have a good level of fitness and although the sections are not perhaps as bad as I expected it is still tough overall."

"I obviously want to beat my brother, however his fitness is better than mine and he has the edge on me so far. I hope the weather is kind for the next couple of days, as when it rained on Monday I found it really hard going. Anyway, whatever happens I will be coming back for many years to come as I am really enjoying the event overall," ended Brad.

Echoing many of his brother's views Dec stated, "It's been one hell of an experience so far, but one that I am really enjoying. I have had some good rides, some mega rides in fact, but also some bad ones too."

"The big surprise has been the moor crossings, they are much harder than I imagined and certainly take it out of you, the good news is it will not stop me coming back in the future as I am loving it," enthused Dec.

"My goal like Brad is to be in the top fifty at the end of the week and to perhaps be the best 125 plus I would like to beat my brother, which perhaps goes without saying. So far so good, let's see what happens in the next two days," Dec said with a huge grin on his young face.

View the full article on the SSDT Website