Toni Bou 2013 Fim Trial World Championship In Motegi, Japan

guys

that 1st section looked very easy for him but i still 5'd him twice at the start of it for stopping.........

rob

Camera angle makes it look like he crossed his own lines a few times as well, not sure those sections were really set to be ridden exactly how the non stop rules are & they certainly weren't marked that way looking at how many stops(from FIM instructional video) that went unpenalised

boring to watch...........

You're right, there's not enough time spent watching that exciting spectacle of somebody standing still on a motorcycle.

However, as someone who has health and safety management as a part of my job I'm a bit mystified as to what exactly the organisers are expecting will fall on to the observers' heads. A bit over the top to have observers wearing helmets surely - or will this be the next FIM dictat?

You're right, there's not enough time spent watching that exciting spectacle of somebody standing still on a motorcycle.

standing still within a short time limit does not make it boring- not like it was in the 90's- where is the spectacle that was last year- lining the bike up for big steps that type of thing

However, as someone who has health and safety management as a part of my job I'm a bit mystified as to what exactly the organisers are expecting will fall on to the observers' heads. A bit over the top to have observers wearing helmets surely - or will this be the next FIM dictat?

I don't think Mr Bou is ever boring to watch, shame on you.... :)

The helmets are just how the Japanese do stuff, it's a different culture with different ways of doing things

I suspect the organizers don't even need to convince the observers to wear them, they report for duty and they wear the uniform and they don't ask why

Japanese people are absolutely fantastic to work with

standing still within a short time limit does not make it boring- not like it was in the 90's- where is the spectacle that was last year- lining the bike up for big steps that type of thing

I think we'll just have to agree that we have differing definitions of the word spectacle :)

1st i never thought bou was boring but it sure needs some drama. with the stopping there seems to be a build up to an attack an obstacle. it defiantly looks and sounds harder to do. with no stop it seems like they have more run at stuff and less drama. it just looks like a slow ride in the woods. in person i know from my own riding / video taping that the camera flattens the terrain. other than it's way bigger stuff than i can ride, to me doesn't look nearly as spectacular. this could be in part to the section layout.

one thing that is obvious is that it's easier to ride very slowly with an occasional hesitation lets say than to actually stop inches away from some thing and make it up. i still feel the rules and or spirit of the rules aren't being followed or enforced. i much preferred for example watching albert cabestany ride the same sections as he seemed to be trying more along the lines of the spirit of the no stop rules.

take football (US or euro) there is a build up of excitement that leads to a goal or a blocked goal. with no stop it seems that build up is missing.

my 2 cents

rob

• Like 1

one thing that is obvious is that it's easier to ride very slowly with an occasional hesitation lets say than to actually stop inches away from some thing and make it up.

If that's true, why do they keep stopping ?

because they can get away with it. also it's ingrained in their riding style. all these current riders probably weren't even born when no stop went away. all they have ever ridden is trick riding and stopping to hop and line up their bike. just like most old timer nonstop guys never really stop in sections that they could have. look at where they stop, it's almost always in a turn with some form of trick riding that really they didn't even need to stop for.

look back at the guys that started the trick riding. i remember watching them ride and they were so fluid and always seemed in control. when they started the trick riding it was during the no stop rules they just did what they knew how to do and added the trick moves so it stayed pretty fluid. once stop and hop came into vogue it became a lot less fluid and much more aggressive and less flowing. it then advanced into what we have had up until this new rendition of non stop and these guys are the reverse of the innovators of the past trying to learn how to do it fluidly and not stop. but the rules need to be clear and if they can get away with a small stop / hesitation then that's what we will have and it's not nearly as well done as it could be or was done in the past.

Edited by rob214

boring to watch...........

I was watching a tape or the 1992 US WR in New York yesterday. No time limits in the sections. The stopping, balancing and waiting.............seemed to go on forever (very boring) I don't know how anyone finished these events. I guess the 1.5 minute rule was a good compromise.......but I still find No Stop better overall. From the look of the

Section difficulty in Japan, I would think they were expecting rain.

• Like 1

Its only been one round so far Ladies. TTC looks like it has better natural terran than Motegi. The sections in Japan look man made. Lots of space between the rocks. Its may take a season to get good at this for everybody.

TTC here we come!