95 Techno 250 Mikuni Or Delorto ? (Newbie)

djw1

hi , i have a 1995 beta techno with the delorto carb ,i have found a few threads saying the mikuni is better but it also has it faults ? any advice , is it an easy mod ? cheers

Perhaps the best modification I did to my '95 was to bolt a Mikuni on it. But there are circumstances to explain. The Dellorto is not a bad carb. Lot's of bikes use them with great results. The problem on the '95 Beta is that the particular model of Dellorto used was a new type with a two piece pilot jet and when they were introduced on the Betas there were no parts available to tune the carb.

Typically Beta jets their bikes rich off the bottom end and the standard setup in the US or at least here in the northeast for a Mikuni was to drop the pilot from a 30 to a 27.5 and sometimes drop the main to a 135 (I think). With the '95 there were no pilot jets available so the bike tended to bog off the bottom and suddenly get real interested in the proceedings once the transition to the needle jet started to become dominant. Unfortunately this made it tricky to time hits or use fine control in turns making the bike seem too powerful. I spent many months looking for jets for that Dellorto before finally giving up and just buying a Mikuni. The bike was transformed from a crashing machine into a bike that pulled smooth and strong with a predictable response that made it a joy to ride. If you can now find jets for the Dellorto I'm sure you can properly set it up to be a great carb. If not though the Mikuni is a world of better.