Rubbing Silencer

jools

Gas Gas Pro riders

Anyone got suggestions as how to keep the silencer from rubbing on the tyre? just they are easy to pull out but they bend back in again &

rub! :D

It's running the standard '04 set-up (alu mid-box & normal Silencer) but there must be ways to prevent this?

Also, the welds are not broken as i have just had it re-welded. Someone out there knows! Or is it just my bikes :lol:

Any ideas appreciated, thanks

As r2 suggested, swap the spacer on the lower mount and even take it one step farther and swap the upper one too if you wish (up at the shock mount). This moves the whole box over slightly and gives more room.

Other than that, put heavy clear numberplate backing materials (the stuff the MXers use) on the inside of the silencer. Then the tire rubs on it rather than the aluminum.

Thanks for that! but i've already done those things you suggested.

i was wondering weather anyone had made a bracket or something for the inside of the silencer. It happens everytime. i've put clear plastic sheeting (really good stuff!) on the back but it keeps wearing through and the silencer is near worn through :lol:

Edited by Jools

It does sound like something is a miss Jools. After spacing the centerbox, you should be pretty clear. Maybe consider having the bolt holes in the silencer rewelded and redrilled slightly off, to permit it to set off a bit more.

It does sound like something is a miss Jools.  After spacing the centerbox, you should be pretty clear.  Maybe consider having the bolt holes in the silencer rewelded and redrilled slightly off, to permit it to set off a bit more.

sounds like a plan!

Thanks for the excellent suggestions! :D

Honda RS, I'll apply your suggestion next time the brackets break, which will probably be very soon :lol:

Where the top bracket is on the mid-box (top bolt on the silencer) the original bracket just descintigrated and I had a solid block of Alu welded on and drilled it. Perhaps its sumthing to do with that?

Thanks again