Ty250A Excessive Smoke

scot taco

also the slide looks quite worn so I'm thinking maybe the slide needle and needle jet might be worn. That would make it run too rich from about 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. Maybe you could take a photo showing the slide needle up close. You seem to be pretty good at close-up photos, if possible can you also photograph the hole through the needle jet?

First,a little history on the bike.I sold it,regrettedit,then was lucky enough to be able to buy it back.When I got it back home the carb was full of old,bad fuel and the some of the airbox mounts where broke.I fixed the airbox,put in a new filter and gave the carb a good cleaning.I pulled the carb back off tonight for some pics and I noticed two things that made me feel pretty stupid.First,the air screw was never adjusted to the turn and a half to two turns out.I must have just screwed it in aways after cleaning because it was about four and a half full turns out! The other thing is the float level which I have a pic of.Shouldn,t they be level with the bottom of the float bowl mating surface? My other question is if the o-ring on the main jet.Could it cause problems if it,s worn? It doesn,t seem to fit real snug into the bottom of the float bowl.I couldn,t get a good picture of the needle,but it does feel worn.

I would think the floats should be level, easy enough to try, would also clean the filter, wash out with premix only,

the old bikes do not seem to like the new filter oils, definitely replace the little o ring.

Larry

Thanks for the reply Larry.I did set the floats level,but did not try to replace the o-ring on the needle jet.It,s not something I have been able to find yet for sale and I haven,t looked through the o-ring kits at work yet to see if I can find a match.I,m waiting on a new o-ring for the crankshaft and then will put it all together and give it another try with a better adjusted carb :blush:.I think in the long run my best bet will be to just order a new carb.

Thanks again to everyone for the help. :thumbup:

• Like 1

From the photo it looks as if your float height may be wrong (too rich)

The line on the float should be parallel to the surface where the float bowl connects.

Connect the carb (float bowl off) to your fuel tank. With the carb right way up and base of carb horizontal hold the floats up gently (do not bend metal on which they are mounted). Turn fuel on and gradually lower the floats. Fuel should start to drip out when line on float is parallel to carb base. Adjust tang on float frame until this is correct.

If you have bike assembles and running turn fuel off and if it runs better / smoke reduces as the fuel level in float bowl drops you know carb is giving too rich a mixture.

Is there a little spring loaded pin in the float valve, if so make sure it moves freely and smoothly, no roughness

Edited by dadof2
  • Like 1

I have been on the MAVT site looking at the OKO carbs and have been kicking around getting one.It seems like they would be very helpful on getting it set up correctly and I like the option of the clear float bowl.It,s good to read that they work that good.

That is a good way to check the correct float level dadof2 and simple enough that I should have thought of it.I will try that with a less oiled air filter (I saturated the heck out of it with oil) and new O-rings and see what happens before I order a new carb.

Thanks again to all !

• Like 1