Adjustable Ignition

nuts

I was going to put this under the “if you were the engineer” heading, but my last response there was getting a bit lengthy already and I want to get myself into the rank of “advanced member” as quickly as possible so I can enjoy all the rights, honor, and privileges duly awarded members of that rank. Therefore I decided to start a new thread.

There’s been a little banter about a programmable ignition. This is a cool thing, but is probably something only practical for very highly skilled riders. I can see myself trying to re-map the advance curve only to thoroughly honk up the performance of my bike. I suppose the manufacturer could provide 3 or 4 selectable pre-programmed maps which might give the choice a “soft” power up through a harder hitting advance. Kinda cool for those of us who take the time to play with anything that’s adjustable on the bike. But I’ll bet the majority of the riders would do like they do with the adjustable suspension – ride with whatever settings come out of the box. I think it would wind up being more of a sales gimmick.

There was also mention of being able to switch the advance curve instantly (via a switch on the handlebar or something) depending on whether the terrain is slick, muddy, sandy, hard, rock, etc. I don’t know about anyone else, but once I get my bike set up to where the suspension matches my leg speed and riding style (it’s a timing thing), and I get used to the engine response, I DON’T want it to change depending on the terrain conditions. Rather than soften the power delivery by changing the advance curve in slick conditions, for instance, I think it’s better to modify my clutch and throttle technique to adapt to the situation. Maybe even use a higher gear. I want my bike to be the SAME every time I get on it. I want to know that if I do “this” the bike will respond by doing “that” every time. Man, it drives me crazy when there’s a change in atmospheric conditions and my carburetion doesn’t feel right. If it ain’t running right I can’t concentrate on my riding, as if I EVER do, but if I did I’d have to get that carb straightened out before I could.

Anyway, my point is that all those adjustments for suspension, carburetion, ignition, etc., are there to adapt the bike to the rider, not to adapt the bike to the riding conditions. No? :ph34r: