Gears

bondy

hi guys been trying to sort the gearbox out on my 198A am using a 199A crank case to learn how the gears go. as the 198A cases are being vapor blasted. anyway i think ive got it correct ive check and double checked with manual parts book the best i can. all gears are selecting so before i put the gearbox in the 198A i just want to make 100% sure its correct. hears some photos.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the spacer sitting on the end of the mainshaft in the last but one picture?

I've never seen one of those in any Bultaco I've had apart. The only spacer on a 5 speed model I've ever seen is on the kickstart shaft, although I've never had a 198 apart. Never seen one on a parts diagram either.

Only the 340 has a spacer on the end of a gear shaft as far as I know and that's on the layshaft.

Do the crankcases bolt together and the shafts turn with that spacer fitted?

hi woody in the photo its the wrong way round it as a lip on it that fits snug into the bearing. i should say yes it wil turn. am sure the other gearbox out of a 199A as the same. ill check tomorrow i have the parts book cant remeber if it shows it.

Bonly,

As per our discussion on another thread related to torque settings I replied and said your Service Manual was 100% correct!!!!!! 5 foot pounds is the torque setting for all the nuts!!! Its the same for all Bultaco engines..... All of them. It's all in the manual.

Steve

So is that a parts book specifically for the 198/199a?

It's not in any of the parts diagrams in manuals I have, or any engine I've ever taken apart, but as I mentioned before, I've never had an 'a' model engine apart

hi woody am not sure mate. ill check it tomorrow i know on the data sheets it dose say 198A.and 199A i will take a photo off the book and the inside. ive been told the washer on the 4th gear with the lip faces outwards. the other quetion i wanted to ask you is the small gear cog near 4th gear theres a rasised shoulder on it am thinking this faces out i will take phot .and show you.

ok, thanks for that, explains why I've never seen one in engines I've worked on. I have a 198a to rebuild so at least I won't be wondering what that shim is doing there when I get around to doing it.

Can't recall my 199b having one though