Beta Tr32 Not Starting

jeff1

Hiya,

I have a beta tr32 250cc. The coil developed a fault a few years ago and I got a second hand replacement one from a local shop. The bike has a healthy spark but despite a day of kicking it over and trying a wide range of flywheel positions it won't start. However it did start briefly but was spinning backwards! Can I fit a strobe light to it and spin engine with a drill etc to see when the spark is compared with top dead centre? Any help would be great. Been watching classic two day recently in Isle of Man and now got the bug.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

Sorry, your right . The woodruff key had sheared and because I had tried the stator in every different position I got desperate and started moving the flywheel around to see if I could find a place where the bike would fire. The replacement coil is from an ossa I think. I have now bought a new woodruff key and spark plug. Tomorrow I am going to clean out the carb as it has been a few years since I tried to start it. I will then have another go at getting the old bugger going! The bike did start a few years ago but only revved backwards. I think it must have bounced on compression after starting forward and ran backwards. Only realised when I went to stall it.