Has Anyone Built Their Own Oset From Scratch ?

dougstar

Hi,

As the title says really who's done it and what sort of issues did you come up against in the process ?

Basically I have been in two minds to go down the petrol or electric route as a starter for my 8yr old, really not many decent petrol ones around (been searching for couple of months) unless you start spending £1k + and then you still dont know what sort of a life they have had !

Then of course after watching a few recent trials all the kids seem to be on these Oset bikes and looks like this is the way forward but after being brought up on petrol bikes I suppose that's why I wanted to smell the 2stroke bliss again but that coupled with the obvious noise difference and lack of training areas it looks like Oset it is.

I have just briefly priced up all the relevent parts from the main Oset dealer ( may even get a few other parts cheaper elsewhere too) and a couple from a decent Mountain bike dealer and have got together a pretty decent packedge for a 16.0 36v bike for £1000 !! the RRP is £1139 for a lesser spec !

So it has to make sense surley ?

Cannot find a decent manual with dimentions etc in but am guessing due to some of the blinged up ones ive seen that I am right in thinking they use basic off the shelf MTB parts, discs, levers,shocks etc ?

Any ideas ?

Comments ?

Tips ? ( cheaper parts elsewhere / from the states and ship feesable? )

All points gladly taken on board

Look forward to hearing all your views and thanks in advance

Dougie

Edited by dougstar

You should be able to pick up a decent TY80 for £400 to £600. Parts are cheap and it won't depreciate much, if at all.

Don't rule out a gasgas 50 boy or a beta 50.

A home built oset may entail unforseen problems and may be difficult to sell on

You should be able to pick up a decent TY80 for £400 to £600. Parts are cheap and it won't depreciate much, if at all.

Don't rule out a gasgas 50 boy or a beta 50.

A home built oset may entail unforseen problems and may be difficult to sell on

Hi,

Yes I wanted to get him a petrol but trying to find one especially a GG50 is proving rather difficult so I have opted to go down the Oset route which I think as a total beginner and with limited practise areas locally seems the more sensible option.

They seem to be holding their price pretty well too and the parts are all relativly cheap, might have got my hands on a cheap 36v one now so the build my own may be a 48v option for the future should this purchase happen.

fingers crossed any ! and thanks for your input

Dougie

Somebody did build a Electric for their lad in the Yorkshire area. It was a 20" I think and he built it as the OSET 20" wouldn't be ready for a while at that time. Seemed to go OK.

I wasnt going to come up with a new masterpiece but as I couldnt find one I priced all the spares up from the dealers and could have built one cheaper and better than the standard one, just thinking out aloud really.

As it happens I have manged to get my hands on a 36v today, its a bot of a chunk and a little older than I was hoping for but hey ho !

So now its Xmas early for my lad next weekend hopefully depending on stock and availabilty from the dealers this week for all the bits I need to get it right before I give it to him....fingers crossed anyway

Thanks

Dougie