3.2 What I Found So Far

This is purely a sarcastic comment /reply to Ishy's post and i dont want to distract from any seriousness or helpfullness of his comments on this topic but thats the disclaimer out of the way......and so......

What if found so far and and overall with the new breed of monty 4rt's is that they are probably a bitch to work on and the problems are to me a complete mystery as i found the best way of dealing with this new breed of 4 stroke is to get rid of the bloody thing and go back to my tried and tested sy250 !!

Yours back into polluting 2-stroke heaven!!! :D

:D:):D

That's a bit unfair Marky Boy. We all have our own opinions and i'm no better than changing the oil, perhaps a bit like your own abilties. I will say that from my own short experiences of trials and riders, there are a lot of riders who like to 'fettle' with there bikes and this is more than just a chor its a bit of a hobby to these guy's. If i did have the knowledge then learning and working on a new concept 4t would i guess be quite an experience and something to look forward to. I thought for some time why do riders own this older bikes that are in better than showroom condition and the conclusion is the above. Its also a good excuse to get out of the house and away from a screaming brat of a kid!

We researched Ishy, i look forward to your next posting.

Ishy,

Removed tappet cover the same way, only removed head brace bolt and front lower bolt, pressed head forward same as you ,with screwdriver and cover slides forwards. Drain oil as per factory instructions!!!! .The 6mm screw under the oil filter plug, lets out about 200 mls extra oil ,after you`ve removed the filter and tipped bike over.Didn`t do this and blew oil out breather, overfull !!! :D

Running two 3.2 t`s here at the moment from shop, fitted one with KeiHin flatslide, as found they were always great on 2t. Carb fits straight on, shorten cable adjuster 4mm, and running at the moment ,40 pilot 110 main JJH needle in fourth clip position and 21mm float . Bike feels very sweet, will be comparing the two this weekend.

Marky Boy, I admit they will require more work initially ,to set shims on run in, and a few oil changes, but believe me, to ride, they are going to do the business. Will be a bike that covers all rider abilities like nothing before.

Cheers,

ShercoH

I fitted one with KeiHin flatslide, as found they were always great on 2t. Carb fits straight on, shorten cable adjuster 4mm, and running at the moment ,40 pilot 110 main JJH needle in fourth clip position and 21mm float . Bike feels very sweet, will be comparing the two this weekend.     

Would like to see your results from this comparison as the standard carb setup seems to be a bit amiss but not sure what to do about it.

:D

That seems a very good idea running the Keihin carb judging from whats been written in these forums regrding the standard Dellorto.

Update us Howard Wallace!!

The bike seems to have had the odd problem (like any new bike :D ) but for '06, they should be sorted and dealers seem to be very helpful going on what owners have said.

Good write up Ishy :D

Webmonkey,

I`m in Australia. Over the last few years we`ve fitted about forty flatslides on 2T`s from the 125 to 290`s. They are fitted to most 85cc motocross bikes, so shop around. We have a supplier here that has all the jets and needles as aftermarket items. Had three hours on my 4T yesterday, and am wrapped in the KeiHin. JJH needle is on the top clip so is slightly on the rich side and I`ll be chasing up the next leaner range. 110 main and 40 pilot are spot on.Float level at 20mm.

The carb fits straight on with no need to change manifolds, as the Dellorto is a 28mm anyway, the fuel line fits away from the exhaust better and I used an overflow tube as fuel line ,looped it up over carb round under manifold and up to the fuel tap. Cut 4mm off the Dellorto cable adjuster thread both ends and your set to go. Fuel economy is improved greatly on the 2T`s and feel the 4`t is going to be the same, three hours on about 2/3 of a tank.

Many thanks for that information. Ill take your word for it and go buy/fit one.

What are the improvements you have found with the bike over the dellorto ? Is there better response? better idling? etc etc

Edited by Webmonkey

Webmonkey, have you won the lotto ?? why would you want to change the carb at this early stage of you ownership?

The carbs not very expensive but I was interested to know if it made a significant difference as I know peeps rave about the improvement for the 2t.

Edited by Webmonkey

The quality of advice given on this web site never ceases to amaze me

ishy keep up the good work

my bike has out of the blue started to need choke on initial start ?

i have been using castrol gps semi synthetic oil,it seems to be fine also i removed the ignition cover and took the little metal clip that holds the loom in place,and found it was verry sharp from being pressed out of thin sheet steel,so i deburred that as well,

also i put lm grease on the grommet and casing where the generator wires run through,fingers crossed.

the bike now ticks over faultlessly

the flatside would be trick though

On a trial I attended yesterday which was very slippery , There was mine and another 4t running. We both had problems restarting the bike if it was dropped ont its side.. The carb flooded and took a while to get it going. :D Once running, all fine again! If i stop the bike normally, it nearly always starts again on the first compression stroke.

Any ideas on how to stop this? ( dont say dont fall off it :D ) will the Flatside carb be an improvement?

Had another ride of the 4t yesterday - first time in mud. I had a bit of a play on section 2. Stuck it in 2nd gear like I would on the 2t, and i couldn't move anywhere. Felt weird, didn't seem to have any feel of what the back wheel was doing. It was fairly slow stuff on muddy banks and a couple of logs. Knocked it up in to 3rd and cleaned it. It felt lovely.

Do you tend to pull higher gears on these? Or does it just take some getting used to?