4T Valve Adjustment With Head Off Of Motor?

bigbird2

I'm preparing to reinstall the head, etc. on my 09 EVO 4t and have a question.

I've had the head and the top part of the head that clamps the cam off to replace cam chain tensioners, etc.

Although, I haven't messed with the valves or valve gear, etc., it would seem prudent to check/adjust the valves.

The engine is still in the frame (sort of barely) so it is not easy to get good access to/through the covers that one adjusts the valves through with the head installed.

SO - My question is: Wouldn't it make sense to temporarily bolt the 2 parts of the head together with the cam in place BEFORE installing the head and cam chain, etc. and do the adjustment with the head OFF of the motor?

It seems this would allow easy access and should give the same results (maybe with less error) than trying to do the adjustment after fully installing the head?

Comments Appreciated!

Make sure you are TDC. Some guys like to tweak the cam position for the intake and then for the exhaust to set the valves.

Always best to have the motor assembled to set the valves, then you know for sure where you are with the piston.

I actually had my motor out of the frame, replacing some base gaskets and set the valves then. Much easier and more accurate way.

• 4 weeks later...