Oset Bikes

craiglynsey

After taking my two sons 8 and 11 yearrs old to the dirt bike show, I have decided to buy them both bikes for christmas. I've ordered a new 20" eco for my eleven year old but am on the look out for a 36v 16" for my 8yr old. The thinking is that maybe next year the 8yr old will move onto the 20" so should get plenty usage from the new bike. The question is what do I need to look out for when viewing / buying a second hand Oset, this is new to me and would hate to buy a dodgy bike for my sons present. Any help will be much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought one off ebay and was ok in general.

They stated that the batteries needed replacing which we did.

It hadnt been very well maintained and had various electrical issues which after a couple of hours in the garage with a soildering iron was sorted.

Also the std cable brakes are crap and give no confidence to the new rider so get some hydraulic ones right away! Around 75 to £100 from chainreaction cycles online.(mountain bike ones).

Just expect to have to do a few bits if you buy s/hand as many owners have the opinion that you can just use it then chuck back on charge in the garage till next time!! They need regular maintenance just like a petrol bike.

I would say if you pay more than £700 you might as well buy new.

Would it not be better to de tune the 20" as the 16" might be too small?

I have a 20" for my 8yr old , he was 7 when I got him it . 100% I made the right decision to go 20" instead of 16" on reflection . Only recently got the controller altered to a lower peak ampage which is a good modification . Fit some Hope brakes , softer springs and a trials tyre rear wheel and your fixed up . I think the 2014 bikes have the option of altering the peak ampage as standard through a dial under the dummy tank .

IMO go 20" - 48v . They're a better bike all round .