Nova - V5 Issues! Help?

okjc250

part way through road registering my gas gas 280 txt

progress:

MOT

Dating letter

Insured on VIN number

V55/5 filled in and sent off

Came back saying i needed to apply for a NOVA to sort VAT out. did this online ands its telling me i now owe £130 import tax on it.

The dating letter tells me it was imported by the offical gas gas importer, surely this would have been done legit and all import duties would be payed at the time????

Have rang VTU (vehicle transportation unit) today but just says lines busy.

Bit annoyed that i have forked out all this money to get it road legal including having insurance running to be told that my applications ben declined because of this

Any help on this would be appreciated

• Like 1

You will have to persevere with the PTU and speak to somebody,if it was imported by Gas Gas UK it would be legit.Governmental departments don't always understand out of the ordinary situations like this,but you are not the first to have this problem

Hi,

Have you spoken to the girl in accounts at Gas Gas uk? She helped road registered my txt 2 weeks ago. She confirmed import and dating and sent a copy to DVLA and 1 to me. I sent form, dating letter, insurance,personal identity (photo copy of passport and licence) and money for registration and tax. Came back a week later tax disc, next day log book. I was surprised at speed. She's clued up on all the goings on involved.

• Like 1

When I registered my Beta recently I sent a covering letter with my NOVA form, plus all the other bits, received 3 letters back, two saying I had to pay vat, and the other one saying I didn't have too. So assumed the one with no VAT was the correct one. If you have no luck on the phone try the letter, I just explained why it was only just being registered after 23 years, plus why I wanted to register it now. Perhaps I just got lucky with a bike friendly employee!!!!!

• Like 1

Rang gas gas today...... they didn't import it so couldn't help me which is fair enough... its a grey import so am going to have to pay the VAT on it :(

still dont really understand how they calculate it on my word of how much i payed for it.... wish i knocked £500 off what i said now

• 9 months later...

Life does not get easy these days.

Same is happening to me.

Scenario 1980 Sherpa needs NOVA approval before V5 and age related plate issued.

Sent dating certificate, photo copy from Comerfords ledger showing date of import and to whom the bike was sold. Thank you Dave Renham.

Just have to wait, once HMRC agree it was legitimately imported and taxes paid in 1980 then I am good to go!

The NOVA dept appears overwhelmed but perseverance got me through to an employee who was very helpful.

However I suspect that without definitive proof of taxes paid I may have to cough up :-(

Martin

The NOVA staff are pretty good (in my experience) and understand that the process was never intended for older vehicles that had lost their registrations or never been registered. I provided the same information as you for two bikes and that was sufficient proof for them. Another two, model 49 and 92, were too old for any records to be provided (they pre-dated VAT anyway) I just sent a covering letter explaining this along with the proof of age and they accepted it

• Like 1

Hi Woody

Confirmation came back today that my vehicle has been made secure, and to proceed with the registration allowing 48 hours for the details to be available to the DVLA.

6 working days turnaround is excellent for a government department considering all the staff reductions.

So well done to HMRC.

Can now ride it in the Perce Simon and the Downland.