Can I Run My 199A Castrol Power Racing 1

bultacorock

Hi bultacorock. Castrol Power 1 used to be called Castrol TTS which was Castrols first synthetic two stroke oil for motorcycles. It came out over here in the early eighties and it was great. I have been using Power 1 in my Sherpa 199B which has a 151 engine in it for the past six years and I have to clean the head, top of the piston and the exhaust port up once in that time. I just had my Sherpa rebored as it was still on the standard bore. It looks like it has been resleeved at some stage in its life as the ports had no chamfers on them which was making it rattle. So to answer your question Castrol Power 1 is fine and so is any good synthetic two stroke oil. The Castrol is supposed to have kerosene in it but it still works fine. Graham.

• Like 1

Well here is 2 photos of my 199A its taken me some time to get it back together and i still need a few bits, i had a bit of time over Christmas & New Year so spent as much as i could working on my bike, i need a new throttle but i will be ordering on line so any tips on which one to get would be a big help also i have the Amal levers and its a bit of a reach

to reach the blade feel nice once i have got my fingers round but would be nice to have a dog leg blade on them is there any that fit or do i need a new levers.

Well thanks for all you help with every thing

BR

• Like 2

Hi bultacorock. I have a Domino with a white quick tube on my Sherpa only because I broke the Amal side pull I had on it at a trial and the Domino was all I could buy at the trial. The Amal is nicer. The Amal levers have very good leverage on the levers so they are very light compared to most levers. You can put others on it but you would probably have to drill the cable end hole in the levers larger. Bultaco cables have large ends on them compared to others. Magura dogleg levers seem to work okay though. I have a mate with a few Pursangs with Magura`s on them and they seem to be not to bad. Your Sherpa looks good. It would look better with some sidecover stickers on it though. I know I`ll being picky. Graham.

• Like 1

Bike looks nice BR... Bet you're looking forward to throwing your leg over it!!! Puts mine to shame ;-). Think you could do a lot worse than go for a domino, but the slow throttle for your bike, it just calms everything down a bit. We use Amal type levers or the pressed steel type on our bults, they are great once you get used to them.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feed back Bullylover yes the lever has a nice feel to it even made the clutch feel nice and soft it was just a bit of a reach but i will try to get use to them, looking at the levers i think the blades have bent out a bit more from been dropped

Hi Bondy

Thanks for the feed back Boghopper350 the tip on slow action throttle i have been looking at the Amal T80/200 online i think i have a fast action one on it now ether that or im way too ham fisted to ride a bultaco, It would be nice to slow things down a bit, i was thinking i use to throw one of these around when i was 16 now im fighting to hold on to it ........ things have changed in 30 years is the 325 much more of a hand full than the 250.

Im very happy with the way my Bultaco looks i will get a set of side cover stickers i think thats a good idea and i think its going to take some time to get use to letting the engine do the work and trying to keep control of the extra size waight and power of my bike, i ride my mountain bike on alpine single track in my free time so im happy off road i have been to watch 3 trials and they still look like lots of fun i have had a great time just watching and taking photos

BR

Edited by bultacorock
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...