Help Identifying Sherco (Pics)

sms005

Well, it followed me home :) It's not quite as cosmetically beautiful as the pictures would lead you to believe, but aside from a few missing fasteners, it appears to be quite mechanicaly sound. Good call on the linkage bearings, copemech. That's about the only issue I could find with it. Oh, and it is a 290...

Today was my first ride on a trials bike and it blew me away how easy it was to balance in one spot compared to that orange thing behind it. I forsee muchos fun this season with it!!

Cheers guys! Thanks again!

Sean

Picture001_zps1d05b734.jpg

Great! It should make a nice bike for you.

If I had to throw a few ideas your way, I would suggest you grease the steering head bearings, the axle shafts and swingarm pivot bolt and the bearings due to the age. If one lets these things sieze up you may regret it later.

The crank seals may me suspect due to age and potential of alcohol fuels, easy to change if needed. Floaty idle and such was my first indication even with a clean carb. Splatshop has the Viton ones. And lower fork guards in plastic that are cheap and work well!

Cheers,

MC

Great! It should make a nice bike for you.

If I had to throw a few ideas your way, I would suggest you grease the steering head bearings, the axle shafts and swingarm pivot bolt and the bearings due to the age. If one lets these things sieze up you may regret it later.

The crank seals may me suspect due to age and potential of alcohol fuels, easy to change if needed. Floaty idle and such was my first indication even with a clean carb. Splatshop has the Viton ones. And lower fork guards in plastic that are cheap and work well!

Cheers,

MC

Yeah, greasing EVERYTHING is always on my job list when ever I get a bike, new or used.

The idle seems very smooth so far and doesn't seem to have any hic ups as it goes through the revs. Can you do the crank seals without splitting the case on these bikes?

Yes, they pop out after flywheel side and clutch side removed. Takes a couple hours and a few tools.

add- if wheel bearing are good, you can pry the seals out of them and pack with grease, then pop seals back in. Never hurts!

Edited by copemech