Do It Yourself Importing

dan williams

Spread the wealth is what I say... what little i might have... There have been a few US dealers who had treaded me poorly. I wont buy from them but if there is a dealer who gets stuff from them and they are local i will give them my business. Their names dont need to be mentioned because they are making a living and it was not meant to be between us.

As far as buying from europe. Yes i buy from europe and its usually for one off stuff that I know would be a hassel for any US dealer to deal with and they wont stock. Then there are things that i want from US dealers that no longer stock them.

Perfect example! I loved my NZI trivent. It broke a long time ago. I wanted another one but the importer no longer stocked them. As a Xmas gift my love obtained one for riding in europe which i keep there. I really missed it. About a month and a half ago i ordered one and had it shipped here to the states. It was much less than my orginal one i purchased here in the US. If you cant get it here the internet makes it easy to get stuff from there.

**disclaimer** ignore the wall paper...

IMG_0912_zps31975da8.jpg

--Biff

IMG_0914_zps9c510020.jpg

Funny that the genesis of this thread was me ordering a couple of NZI carbon helmets from Spain because I couldn't find them here. My email to a major dealer about price and availability of the Mots carbon went unanswered. That bugs me no end. It's not like I haven't supported local dealers over the years but if I can't try it on I might as well buy from europe for less money.

I am greatful that the discussion has been mature.

• Like 1

Steve, I checked day one in Vermont with a couple friends but we had to bag the second day as one of my friends has some health issues and was hypothermic after day one so we weren't going to risk it. Instead we went and visited Ron and Lana for a few hours. We didn't know they were moving the next week so it was the best visit. we told stories and laughed and got a little teary eyed. So yeah the Commo clan have always been much more than a dealer to me. I consider them family.

I get my GasGas specific stuff from one dealer and my "universal" stuff from a different guy (usually cheaper) both are trials dealers. And I have found things like brake pads etc. at a local aftermarket motorcycle shop.

And sometimes I may get stuff from Biffsgasgas and his "Bits Box".

I don't order much on da interwebs from Europe, but I may be tempted to replace my NZI Trivent with one of the Helix Air Zone helmets.

Spread the wealth is what I say... what little i might have... There have been a few US dealers who had treaded me poorly. I wont buy from them but if there is a dealer who gets stuff from them and they are local i will give them my business. Their names dont need to be mentioned because they are making a living and it was not meant to be between us.

As far as buying from europe. Yes i buy from europe and its usually for one off stuff that I know would be a hassel for any US dealer to deal with and they wont stock. Then there are things that i want from US dealers that no longer stock them.

Perfect example! I loved my NZI trivent. It broke a long time ago. I wanted another one but the importer no longer stocked them. As a Xmas gift my love obtained one for riding in europe which i keep there. I really missed it. About a month and a half ago i ordered one and had it shipped here to the states. It was much less than my orginal one i purchased here in the US. If you cant get it here the internet makes it easy to get stuff from there.

**disclaimer** ignore the wall paper...

IMG_0912_zps31975da8.jpg

--Biff

IMG_0914_zps9c510020.jpg

I was thinking the same thing...you need to spend some money on that bathroom....the helmet can wait.

Actually the wallpaper and helmet design almost match.

Edited by kramit

Steve, I checked day one in Vermont with a couple friends but we had to bag the second day as one of my friends has some health issues and was hypothermic after day one so we weren't going to risk it. Instead we went and visited Ron and Lana for a few hours. We didn't know they were moving the next week so it was the best visit. we told stories and laughed and got a little teary eyed. So yeah the Commo clan have always been much more than a dealer to me. I consider them family.

Dan:

Wow! i'm glad we BOTH got to see them before they set off! Our visits sound similar for sure, although I am sure it has been at lot longer between visits for me....I think the last time was 2001 World Round in Goldendale. Even longer for me to see Lana as she did not make that trip. Yes, they have always treated me like family. I actually lived the entire summer of 86 with them, riding all the Nationals and NETA events.

It was teary eyed for Lana to meet my 6ft3 son, and me after so many years!

I was lucky enough to be riding in an era when they were so involved with the sport. We sure had a ton of laughs thats for sure!

Steve