Sammy Miller Seat-How Do You Attach It?

mmmexico

I have had a Sammy Miller seat on my TY175 for about ten years. As this unit was delivered to me it had a provision for three 6mm bolts to go through the bottom of the seat base and screw into the little seat which came with the unit. The design appeared to me to be somewhat flawed in that the seat when installed with the three little 6mm bolts completely covered the central bolt hole which actually attached the tank/seat unit to the bike. The result was that the seat/tank unit had to be attached to the bike without the seat itself being in place, then you had to figure out some way to get the three little 6mm bolts into the seat from under the seat/tank unit. My hands were not remotely small enough or long enough to accomplish this task.

My solution through the years has been to use contact cement to attach the seat to the seat/tank unit. Am I missing something? Is there a better way? Since I am almost ready to finish up the restoration, I would like to get this detail worked out.

Thanks in advance...

If you would like to take a look at the bike, check out my blog at: http://meditarivemachinery.blogspot.mx/

Mike

Larry....Thank you very much for the suggestion....I actually did try velcro but it was not a good/permanent solution. In my thrashing around on the bike I would shake it loose. However, I am on to a possible solution....probably the solution that the original makers had in mind. On the back of the seat...where it fits up against the rear fender, I discovered that there is another 6mm female fitting. It looks like the design was for a bolt to go through the underside of the rear fender and then into the seat base. The big hole in the center of the seat base would only be used as a stop or simply for centering the unit...not as an attachment point.

Since the seat/tank unit is very securely held on the front where it fits into the pre-existing mounts for the original tank, the additional bolt through the rear fender will be enough.

Mike

http://meditarivemachinery.blogspot.mx/