Rear Hop With Pivot

Ok thanks, longer lines and obstacles right after full lock turns it is. Im not sure if taping would be appreciated by other people in the area. I would hate to upset the teenagers that party in the parking lot and throw their beer bottles all over the place.

Btw, looks are deceiving. It is actually very muddy right now and quite slippery. I need a fender lift kit!

Edited by tahoebrian5

Funny how things seem tougher as soon as you run a little tape around stuff... harder still when you have a score card... hardest yet with an observer watching over you - LOL.

Even harder the one time you bring your friends and wife

• Like 1

Those rocks are spaced just right to make a crazy long sections of good tight turns. Learning the cool tricks are good, but learning to turn correctly is the key to trials. All the good riders can ride incredible huge rocks, but the only way to get points out of them is technical turns.

OH SO TRUE ... :)

I might 3 or 5 the nasty rock etc. but I can turn around in the wheelbase of my bike at will ... (sometimes ! :) )

• Like 1

Brian, I possibly do but to be honest I cant remember whilst sat here. The real key is timing, you cant rush that, and something that has not been mentioned yet just to confuse things is the use of the clutch and throttle to aid the manoeuvre.

Edited by the addict

Check these out:

http://youtu.be/IT98bNoSvzU?list=UU754QRdUQw3d9n6o4i1Fpuw

One thing Ryan Young and Andreu Codina don't mention is when you want to hop the rear to the right, use handlebar turning pressure to the right when the wheel comes up as seen in the supermoto video. Turn back to the left to control landing. The supermoto guy is sitting the whole time and doesn't use much hip. A stationary trials hop to the right will have the front tire turned to the left, front brake to get rear up, handlebar turning pressure to the right with hip movement, then straighten front wheel and stop with front wheel turned left.

Edited by sectionone

If you are using to much effort pushing the bars forward to get the rear end up then your body will be to locked up to get the rear wheel out to the side. Really stabbing at the pegs hard using your legs to get the rear end up made a huge difference to me, as did getting my '04 shock revalved for faster rebound.

The secret is definitely in throwing the hips out. Also try this: to get the rear to go over to your left, push the bars (not turn them) down towards the right, as you are approaching the top of your endo.

static rear wheel hop is different than a moving one. when the bike lands you pull back on the bars to help re- center yourself just as mentioned above. a rolling one is initiated earlier as the lift is beginning to happen and speed and momentum brings it around and uses more of your shoulders and lean angle. what you don't see in the vid is the amount of pressure he is applying to his hips / legs / feet to help bring the bike around. in this type of circumstance yes he's using the bars more but only to help transfer strength to his lower body to move the bike.

while static you move your hips to the outside direction you want he bike to go with a slight lean and then when the bike rebounds the bike naturally follows to that side. i find that while doing a rolling movement if i get my shoulders off center as i enter into the move it helps me get my movement started easier and my hips follow along with less effort.

here you go from the master himself

good luck

rob

Check these out:

http://youtu.be/IT98bNoSvzU?list=UU754QRdUQw3d9n6o4i1Fpuw

One thing Ryan Young and Andreu Codina don't mention is when you want to hop the rear to the right, use handlebar turning pressure to the right when the wheel comes up as seen in the supermoto video. Turn back to the left to control landing. The supermoto guy is sitting the whole time and doesn't use much hip. A stationary trials hop to the right will have the front tire turned to the left, front brake to get rear up, handlebar turning pressure to the right with hip movement, then straighten front wheel and stop with front wheel turned left.

That will just confuse him as it is a different technique. That guy is actually putting pressure on the left bar to turn right and then changing pressure to the right bar. Totally different riding.

My breakthrough in learning to move the rear wheel sideway was turning right to move the rear right whether stationary or in motion. If you watch anyone moving the rear to the right you will see a moment when the bars turn to the right when it gets airborne.

My breakthrough in learning to move the rear wheel sideway was turning right to move the rear right whether stationary or in motion. If you watch anyone moving the rear to the right you will see a moment when the bars turn to the right when it gets airborne.

That's how it feels on a trials bicycle too

It's like the front tire is stuck to the ground hard enough that you can use that to lever against

I can hop the rear just like the TTC video but I always think turn right to hop right which you can see he does on the first hop. Then he says turn right to hop left which is not the best way to teach the hop. Most students will just get the rear up with no side movement. I might have been there that same weekend of the video and everybody struggles with side hops as I did at the time. I suggest it's easier to do it when you think turn right to hop right.

• Like 1