Water Ingress ?

ok so i thought id solved this ,but no.

whilst doing the hillsbrough trial yesterday , riding through deep water ,  then out onto the bank side the engine splutters , coughs and dies.

a few kicks later and with no throttle on she fires up ,  ticks over but if you rev she dies again, let her tick over for a min and all is well , I've sealed up the boot from carb to air box with silicone , all jubilee clips are tight so don't think its getting in there , the air intake is quite high up under the frame so don't think its getting in there , I've siliconed up the air box lid , could it be the carb breather pipes ?? 

don't know ?? anyone else have this problem ??

2014 jtg 250 

andy

Hi Andy

Have you cleaned out the carb now ?

You may have water still in the float bowl and it'll cause bad running from time to time. It wont go out on its own.

I have a 14 JTG 300 and had the same problem consistently after running through hub deep water for 50 yards or so. Steve Saunders had exactly the same problem in the same section as well.

Mine just died like it ran out of fuel .It was def a fuel starvation issue. It kept repeating itself on this section only. Then on the river bank it fired up again and was fine for the rest of the day in the other drier sections.It is strange and very annoying.

It was either caused by the sudden temperature drop to the engine and perhaps needed more fuel

or ...it had something to do with the breathers. 

Id bet it was the breather pipes .

Id make sure your breathers are located a little higher and perhaps join one overflow to the other with a bottom hole cut out . This will keep the breather pipe up , on top of the engine  and away from the water.

I would imagine this would cure it

Was there water in the airbox?The breather pipes don't have a vacuum in them to make them suck.The air filter access panel doesn't seal well,I duct tape mine and have never had this problem.Are there traces of dirty water getting through the filter and into the carb,pretty sure this is where the water came from.Have you sealed the flap on the bottom of the airbox

Edited by huski