Oset 12.5 Eco Or Racing

jkhighlander

We have non racing model. But if I would be now considering to buy one, I would definitely buy Racing. In racing you can adjust both speed and torque, in non-racing only speed. Racing one has disc brakes too and they are lot easier to use in weak hands of 2-4 hears old. 

We have non racing model. But if I would be now considering to buy one, I would definitely buy Racing. In racing you can adjust both speed and torque, in non-racing only speed. Racing one has disc brakes too and they are lot easier to use in weak hands of 2-4 hears old. 

We have an 'old type' 2011 12.5. This has been a great bike for both our boys to learn on. It's biggest weakness, in my opinion, is it's sharpness, it is quite aggressive and doesn't have any throttle response adjustment (just top speed). This hasn't been a major issue though. You can get a tidy one like this for £400 to £500 if you keep an eye on eBay. The other slight issue was the chain constantly coming off. This has been improved since I put new chain and sprockets on, but I still feel the chain was a little to small gauge for the bike. Oh, the plastic chain guard soon gets smashed too.

I think (not 100% sure about chain size on Eco) these three issues have been rectified on the 2015 12.5's which are pretty much a complete re-design. If I was buying one now I'd probably go for the Eco, think most of the upgrades on the racing just add a bit more bling. In my opinion there is no need for disk brakes if you keep the V and band brakes well maintained. The band brake is very good, neat & tidy, effective and low maintenance.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one, they're fairly simple to maintain and repair if needed and hold their value quite well.

Have fun!