Test Rides

telecat

Seems a strange business model not to use a distribution network where the exchange of bikes takes place ( your local bike shop ), how will people sell on their year old bikes ? Dealers make this transaction easy by offering to arrange the finance, you cannot do this selling your bike privately so you will be reliant on a buyer turning up with say £3 - £4 grand in cash, why should the dealers help you out ( help out Vertigo) by buying your bike ?

Sounds nice and clean for Vertigo but not so sure about the rest of the market.

Seems a strange business model not to use a distribution network where the exchange of bikes takes place ( your local bike shop ), how will people sell on their year old bikes ? Dealers make this transaction easy by offering to arrange the finance, you cannot do this selling your bike privately so you will be reliant on a buyer turning up with say £3 - £4 grand in cash, why should the dealers help you out ( help out Vertigo) by buying your bike ?

Sounds nice and clean for Vertigo but not so sure about the rest of the market.

That'll be the sticking point, along the way

I don't see how it fits in with the Vertigo 'family' ethos.. Families look after one another no matter what so to sell a bike but it's only a one way ticket doesn't fit at all ?  :huh:

Edited by atomant

I was informed that, yes Vertigo are going to have a UK dealer network in the future.

However not at the moment...

1. While the bikes have only been manufactured in the factory for a few weeks and they are in short supply for the worldwide audience.

2. Also at this moment without product knowledge or training dealers would not be able to carry out proper maintenance or servicing.

My earlier point was more to do with riders moving on their current bike enabling them to buy a Vertigo not how they will sell on the Vertigo !

Would you as a dealer want to fill up your shop with thousands of pounds of year old bikes not having benefited from the next new sale ?

Sounds like Vertigo want all of the advantages of new sales but none of the disadvantages of helping riders make the change, time will tell.

• Like 1

Your press release Dad of 2 relates to JJB Sports, Argos and Littlewoods, what it has to do with Vertigo only you seem to know!

I have just clicked on the link I posted again and am puzzled why you feel it relates to the 3 retailers you have named rather than Vertigo.

From what I read on TC (the post I quoted) it looks as if Vertigo are attempting to enforce the practice of "retail price maintenance" 

Read following link and you will understand http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/22406/1/39_98.pdf 

See Colin 008 #50.  Vertigo could probably fix the price (without breaking the law) if they had only one retail outlet across the EU but that seems unlikely.

Edited by dadof2

The Model kind of makes sense. We have relied on P/EX in the past but the last two bikes have been sold privately abet via dealers. On that basis you do need to have the funds to "bridge" the gap between buying and selling. Chris has that capability now. I would also say that the Vertigo like the 4RT is pretty much a bike for those who aren't interested in "fettleing" bikes week to week. They just want a bike to ride that is competitive but reliable. I don't see any marque able to cope with that if they work as expected.

• Like 1

If you want one you'd have to sell your present bike,then order your Vertigo and hopefully not wait long for it.Failing that you could buy it on a credit card and pay it off when you sell the old one and pay some interest.Most customers seem to like the convenience of part x,so avoiding potential thieves wanting to locate it and nick it,also avoiding the time wasters and dreamers out there.Vertigos policy might cost them a few sales,but if the demand is there it won't worry them unduly.Got to be more profit per bike without the dealers cut

The Model kind of makes sense. We have relied on P/EX in the past but the last two bikes have been sold privately abet via dealers. On that basis you do need to have the funds to "bridge" the gap between buying and selling. Chris has that capability now. I would also say that the Vertigo like the 4RT is pretty much a bike for those who aren't interested in "fettleing" bikes week to week. They just want a bike to ride that is competitive but reliable. I don't see any marque able to cope with that if they work as expected.

How can you know if its reliable? Isnt that something we should make up in a couple of years?

• Like 1

I do agree with you ...so maybe my comparison to old bikes was not so good as loads fell by the wayside .

But I dont think these new fi bikes will last  . Carb bikes can be rebuilt easily and parts adapted and scabbed  from other models.....BUT  try entering the invisible world if electric gizmos and adapting a fuel pump from another model ..or a multi level ignition pack from another model and repairing or replacing those components   ...... way way after the companies are gone or the spares have stopped ....NOT a chance .....The bikes will be readapted back to carbs to get them running again .....and thats if its possible . My experience of 2 stroke fuel injected bikes has not been good and ive not rushed and spent the money ...really thinking through ways to repair .After 3 or 4 years the running gear and engine is still good but the pumps are knackered and the injectors are all milked up and useless . Everything is £100 + a shot so its not cheap ....and thats if you can get the parts. Add onto that harsh riding environments and cleaning environments - pressure washers and .......well.....ive already said it. Water gets anywhere , and its screws everything ...as it did to the "sealed coil" of my near new Scorpa easy during a wet ssdt.   Technologically we might have developed computers gadgetry and be advancing at a great pace on this front ......but the stuff still fails all over the place. The ECU on my van has just died after 3.5 years ---thank God the company is still going . Are trials manufactures employing technology more reliable than this ?.....Not a chance 

But i bet its beautiful to ride and for the first few years it will be spot on 

Edited by gasgas249uk
  • Like 6