4 Speed In The P65

trialsrfun

So it's a Pre65 trial but the 4 speed Sherpa T ran from 1965 until 1967... It just says 4 speed, not that it must be a Sherpa N or Pre65 Sherpa or that the Sherpa T is excluded.  The thought process behind these regs gets ever stranger...

They can make those model 10 Sherpas go pretty well with mods, so they could actually be very competitive with the right rider.

• Like 3

woody, on 07 Jan 2016 - 12:52 AM, said:

So it's a Pre65 trial but the 4 speed Sherpa T ran from 1965 until 1967... It just says 4 speed, not that it must be a Sherpa N or Pre65 Sherpa or that the Sherpa T is excluded.  The thought process behind these regs gets ever stranger...

They can make those model 10 Sherpas go pretty well with mods, so they could actually be very competitive with the right rider.

My thoughts too, strangely though you cannot ride a Greeves with banana type forks in the same event.

• Like 1

Hi

I'm an ex pom now living in Australia and we had an M10 Bultaco win our National Classic trials title in 2009 (I think) and it created an argument for the next three years till the rules were changed, wrongly, to exclude all "Spanish" bikes in Classic class.

This has, rightly, now been ammended by clarifying the definition of a Pre 65 Classic bike, and to give some of the more "trick" bikes a ride we have added a Pre 68 Specials class which would allow the M10, Cub square barrels and 4 speed Bantams in.

I have entered the Pre 65 Scottish on a couple of occasions and watched it also and have seen all the "trick" stuff entered as Pre 65,,,,,, what a joke.

To save all the annual arguments that go on about the Pre 65 Scottish why the devil don't they simply change the name of the event to The Scottish Classic Trial and include everything Pre 80 or 75 or whatever, they have to bring their eligibility and rules up to date otherwise it will be the same old guys that get in, who have won it 15 times, or wore the same waistcoat and bow tie year after year or the same old manufacturers or father and daughter entries or magazine editors who get in year after year.

Come on someone,,,, shoot me down !!! 

Edited by cub200
  • Like 5

I think they are a reasonably rare bike in Spain as most were exported. The Spanish classic trials are structured differently from ours in that they have classes defined by era, so the 4 speed Sherpa is in the Pre-72 class. With a rider as good as any other in the class, it can be a competitive bike.

When I last rode the Pre65 in 2007 there were two Spanish bikes entered, a Montesa and a Sherpa. The Montesa was maybe entered as an Impala, don't know, which were available before 1965 but only as 175cc. The first trials model was 1967 followed soon after by the Cota MK1. The bike in the trial looked and sounded like a 250.  The Sherpa should have been a Sherpa N to qualify and it was dressed like one except that it had a 5 speed motor...

There were Bultacos in the SSDT in1963 They were 200cc 4speed There was one in 2015 A 200 4speed the forks did not go forward but the spindle fitted straight on the bottom and the hubs were much larger The head fins were straight like the M49

Well boys and girls I'm riding a M10 unmolested bike in scotland. And believe me it has no advantage over a well tricked up Ariel cub batam etc etc . I've ridden them all ..Ability goes a lot farther in trials

• Like 5

Well boys and girls I'm riding a M10 unmolested bike in scotland. And believe me it has no advantage over a well tricked up Ariel cub batam etc etc . I've ridden them all ..Ability goes a lot farther in trials

Great stuff, is the bike a rounded tank type or did all 10s have that tank.