Newby Reliving His Youth

johnboy999

Hi all, me is 73 years old and have just brought me self a 175 Yammy with the Sammy Millar hi-boy frame , bit of a barn find not seen the light of day for 16 to 18 years

The gentleman put a drop of fuel in her and she came to life on the 3rd kick!!

I did ride in the SSDT in 1976 and got a silver award , one of my friends was Arnie Taylor from Mansfield he came up to Scotland with a couple of nice lads Bill & Douggie,

But sad to say I lost contact with them. See you on the forum , thanks.

• Like 3

Hello, I found this site by accident the other day, see the thread about Mick Andrews' OSSA. Arnie Taylor is the chap who sold my dad the '70/'71 SSDT winning bike,

Dougie might be Dougie Haslehurst and Bill might well be my next door neighbour Bill Milner, tall farmer who collects OSSA's.

Spen you are gold Mate !!! that is Bill & Dugie they all came with me and my wife Margaret, Please Spen tell Bill about me please,

I wanted a Osser Mar but could not find one , my Yammy is a 1978 !

Arnie was a rep for united biscuits and we went to his house a lot he had a little girl Susan,

Wish you still had that bike Arnie sold your dad.

I can not believe our paths have crossed like this, l am near Leicester and off to Mick Andrews a week on Sat

Bill and Dugie are on some film we have of the SSDT the year I road it & I think Mick had a broken bone in his foot that year?

Hope to here more from you Spen.

I will speak to Bill as soon as he comes past on his tractor....

Arnie was indeed a rep' for the biscuit company and Dougie was the parts man at Walkers Vauxhall in Worksop. Bill still lives at and runs the farm next to me.

I've still got two MAR's, (and a Bultaco), sadly not the one shedhead1950 has had since 1975..... 

What's your proper name? I'll tell Bill. Were you from the Worksop area originally?

Spen thanks mate, John Darby, I was living near Grantham in a village, not from Worksop, I had a frozen food business in them days but went Bust when the supermarkets took over the frozen food business , I then moved to Ireland spent 25 years there but an now back in the uk for 10 years.

What age r you mate?

Not rode since 1980 but am determined to have a go, wish I met you or Bill sooner as I wanted MAR ! My son nick who Bill may remember has just brought a Yammy majesty , he rekindled the flame in me, I was at the peak classic trial last sun just watching and looking for a bike,.

I'm 56. I look a lot older as I had daughters!

I'll have to drag the bikes out of the shed and let you have a play. The last trial I did was about 2001 on my old Greeves Scottish, although any chance I get to have a play with a bike off road gets taken. Can't get on with the modern 'gymnastic' stuff, an age thing, no doubt. I had a Beta, Gas Gas and an Aprilia Climber (which had been designed by somebody who has shares in gravestones, the bloody thing tried to kill me and two of my mates). ;>)

I've been running a few classic racing bikes over the last few years, great fun. BHR and CRMC Championships.

That's my old mate Rob Gourlay on an Egli Gold Star 500. Rob had raced since 1968 at top level and was killed by a drunk Polish kid three times over the limit in 2008. He was on his Triumph Trident about half a mile from home when he was hit head on by a Rover on the wrong side of the road.