Changing 4Rt Oil

gassa1

Hi, just been buying a new montesa 4rt and I'm going to change the oils and oil filter, can anyone recommend the best oil to use and how often the filter should be changed,how much oil goes back in and can you use the same oil for the gearbox and engine, also I've heard the oil filter is a pain in the a*** to change so any advice would be greatly appreciated

I tend to go oil every 6 weeks ish and filter every other. Good quality 4t oil. If you google it the workshop manual is about on PDF and tells you all you need to know about the bike. Puts  a Haynes manual to shame.

Engine and gearbox are separate. The engine is easy to please the clutch/gearbox not so and many hours on TC about gear box oil are available. In short would suggest genuine elf oil or ATF , Some of the recent oils seem to get good reviews though.

The oil filter is straight forward apart from the fact you think it will never come out and then it does!!!! New one seems to drop straight in.

Put bike on its side after draining oil and poor new oil in before refitting casing -much quicker.

Bash plate will need removing, loosening. Oil gasket on rebuild and will last many changes.

PS dump standard air filter and buy after market with no metal cage -will save many hours of frustration over the coming years

god luck and welcome to the clan. Glad you are getting in the swing of the 4rts

• Like 1

I change the oils every 15 hours. If you don't have an hour meter they're about $3 from ebay.

Engine oil I use any 10w40. Currently using an Australian brand (Nulon) but have used plenty of others with no complaints. 450ml.

I change the filter with the oil and use Hiflo filtro HF116. They're the same as a bunch of different Hondas and Husqvarnas. Filter can be a bit fiddly to get out but no real trouble. I'd recommend getting an 8mm t handle as regular sockets seem too wide to get a straight fit on the retaining plate bolt. Put a dab of grease on the spring to keep it in the filter when refitting and grease one side of the gasket so you don't have to replace it every time.

Transmission oil I use Havoline Dexron vi and couldn't be happier. 550ml.

Edit: Pretty much the same as Jimmy said.  :facepalm:

Edited by s.e.lucas
  • Like 2

PPs

Make sure you oil the o ring around the filter cover and makes sure you push it in firmly before fitting the bolt. Should feel it click into its seated position.

First one I did for my brother many years ago the plate wasn't all the way in which meant the spigot was at an angle which meant the outside cover would not line up on the dowels.

With the magnets pulling the casing around it was difficult to pin point what was wrong  

Re Jimmy's point, I don't muck about changing oil and filters coz if it nearly fooled him then it certainly would've fooled me. I would've just cranked it up good and tight which would've probably left me a bit embarrassed in the middle of Rannoch Moor the following week!

Theres a nice man in Horsforth that supports this site who will do it all for you and sell you something you didn't know you needed at the same time!

PS dump standard air filter and buy after market with no metal cage -will save many hours of frustration over the coming years

I have seen similar references and am puzzled. My cage just lifts in and out with the foam as easily slotted in to the metal and the top screwed on. Perfectly straightforward.

Has mine been altered from standard then?

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

Ah, thanks. I had noticed the rubber but assumed it was just reinforcement as the previous owner had not "used" it so I have just carried on that way. I alternate it with an Apico element (using the cage) which is all foam and both seem equally good at sealing the airbox. Given the amount of muck that reaches the area, much more than on my Rev 3 for example, it is well tested. And yes I have sealed the gap at the mudguard.