What To Look Out For 2002 Beta 250

twowheelfanatic

The `02 is pretty outdated. A lot of parts are no longer available. A good running one would be 1500 - 1800. At 2500, I would save a few more dollars and get a later model. 2010-2012. At the same time, I loved my 2002. But it was new.

IMHO there are plenty of mechanical parts available. Probably cosmetic parts are getting thin on the ground but other than that most common parts still available readily. Moreover the 02 was in that era before the bikes became light enough to be fragile. It's a hearty bike.

One thing the 02 did suffer from was a weakness in the alloy welding for the rear brake caliper stop pin on the swingarm. Check that is not broken. It was resolved on the 03 model. You'll also find any bike that age may have a heavily corroded front rim if it's been left wet (which most are). Hard to check without removing front tyre. Rear shock is likely worn out as may be the fork bushes and sliders. The 02 isn't affected by waterpump corrosion as it had an aluminium casing.

But yeah, it's now 14yrs old...