Ty 250R Mono

johnmartin247

Talon disc on the back must be quite scarce nowadays. I used to have a Ty with talon discs front and back in the early 90s. In the third picture your rod from the master cylinder on the swing arm to the rear brake pedal is at an odd angle which I don't remember. I've looked at some old pictures, it wasn't at that angle, more horizontal.

Edited by jer

Here's a picture of mine in 92. You can make out the rear brake rod on it. I wonder if your bike has more mods on it? If someone went to the expense of putting discs on it (presumably it had a Talon on the front as well at some time), the chances are they had some more work done, maybe the engine has been worked on? 

post-1533-0-05841700-1469969415_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It doesn't look far off restored already! Hope you don't mind me asking, but how much did it set you back, as I'm thinking of picking one up

I paid what I was happy with and the seller was happy so that is all that counts, yes I might of got one cheaper or paid more for one but you get what you pay for if that helps. ;)

Here's a picture of mine in 92. You can make out the rear brake rod on it. I wonder if your bike has more mods on it? If someone went to the expense of putting discs on it (presumably it had a Talon on the front as well at some time), the chances are they had some more work done, maybe the engine has been worked on? 

Hi Jer, thanks for posting your bike, it looked great in the day I bet!

I believe that my foot rests and the brake lever have been lowered and moved back slightly hence the angle of the rod.

cheers

John.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There has definitely been some work done in the footpeg area of your bike, have another look at the back in the day photo & you'll see how much higher they are.

On my 350 in the 90s I just cut the mounts & lowered the peg mounts to roughly the same position as yours are at using a piece of solid bar inside the 2 pieces of the mounting bracket. Once done it wasn't noticeable as different apart from the height, someone has added a filler back to the frame so the bracket looks flat at the base rather than the peg mount hanging down

Your bike should be noticeably easier to balance than a bike with the pegs in the normal position & easier on the back as you end up standing more upright like on a new bike

No idea about a different top clamp being available, you may have to do like I have on my 250C & cut the mounts off, machine both parts square & weld them back on. It's an easy job if you have the gear & in my case moved the bars to roughly over the steering stem rather than behind it

• Like 1