Front Wheel Won't Spin When Tighening Axle Nut

johnmc408

(2003 Pampera)

Hi, I removed the front axle to look at the brakes and their overall condition and after I put the axle back on, when I tighten the nut (even a bit), the wheel stops spinning.  I have done this before on my Sherco trials for a tire change, so I wasn't expecting any problems...

I did notice that the left side of the axle has mushroomed out a bit probably due to hitting it.  It is probably 1/8inch out from flush.

The only thing I can think of is to get a new axle and see if this helps.

Wanted to check before I purchase.

Thanks!

Thanks Jim, that makes sense.  Because the Sherco uses 37 foot pounds on that nut and the prior owner of the Pamp had a blob of "glue" on many nuts, I didn't get a great feel for how tight it was screwed on (it is a BIG nut after all ;-)

I am sure the axle won't come out as it is in there pretty tight, but I might put some blue locktite or some glue to make sure the nut doesn't fall off.

BTW I have 1 pinch bolt on left and 2 on the right (when looking at the bike).  The pink slip says 2003, but when I did the VIN decode it was made in Oct 2002.

It is a very fun bike!

Thanks again