4Rt Starting Problem

barfy

Just put a new cam chain and rings in the 4RT because I thought being 8 years old it was about due. I put the engine, exhaust, injector and throttle body back on the frame but not the air box. I thought it'd be a good idea to try starting it before I got much further. I kicked it over several times with it almost starting but not actually jumping into life.

Is the 4RT "clever" enough to know the air box is missing so not start?

• Like 1

They won't start wiith a fresh oiled filters so it knows something!!

Check fuel pump plug I've thought I've plugged mine in the past only to find it's not in correctly. They can be a bit of a fiddle when putting tank on.

We are assuming all your timing marks are back ok?

Good luck

• Like 1

A fresh oiled filter affects the air volume and they have a mass airflow type check (don't' remember Montesa/Honda the calls it) so yes that would/could affect it.  They normally don't have an O2 unless its setup for the street so that's not likely the issue...

Maybe the TB is a bit dirty and not getting a good ready on the air volume measurement? 

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

if the timing is ok try opening up the idle on the throttle body to 2 1/2 - 3 turns...My son turned our bikes idle down when we first got it without me knowing....took a month to get it going again!.....thanks again to Alan Bird @ Feetuptrials!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.

I know that the timing is ok because I put mostly back together then wasn't confident I'd set the timing right so it was all out of the frame again.

To be honest I was struggling to get it going last night just before I was packing up so haven't done any fault finding. I was chewing it over in bed when I thought about posting the question. Looks like I'll be having a careful look at it tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I've got it started now.

Checked all of the electrical connections, which were ok. So I adjusted the the tick over but 1/4 of a turn and it started ok. Obviously, putting in cam chain and rings must have mede it need just a touch more tick over.