Rookie 80 Spark Plug

tobster

Hi

A slightly long ramble so please bear with me - baaaaa (that's for the oldies amongst us)

I've just acquired a 2002 TXT80 rookie for my boy to replace the TY80. Whilst doing a bit of initial maintenance as the bike is a beast to start, I noticed the spark plug was very black. Upon closer examination the type of plug appears to contradict what all the 'books' say I should be using. The plug in the bike is an NGK B9EG, whereas it seems I should be using a BPR5ES. These 2 plugs seem miles apart in both temp as well as appearance, so what's going on?? ALSO, whilst trying to check that the jetting is OK by plug chops, I noticed that adjusting the air screw had no effect - the colour of the plug was however good throughout the throttle range. When I opened up the carb all was as expected , except the idle jet was a 60, when I had been expecting a 50. Also the needle was in its lowest settings (i.e. the clip was at the top of the needle). What does this all mean (apart from someone has been inside this bike tinkering) or are these pukka modifications?

Any comments wellcome re what people are using for this bike

PS What's this I hear about Silkolene (in the fuel) not being recommended in Gas Gas?

Are you still here - good, well that's it - I'll sit back and await the barrage of useful info......

Hi Tobster (are you Toby by the way?) i have recently purchased a txt rookie 03 and had similar probs , so i e-mailed kev hipwell at gas gas for specs. I put the BPR5ES in and mixture screw set at 1.5 turns out and it has improved but we also have a 60 pilot jet in and Kev reckons it should be a 50 The needle clip according to Kev should be where you have yours set. OURS ALWAYS STARTED WELL BUT PLUG WAS VERY BLACK.

Edited by pandelboy

Our Rookie runs great with the BPR5ES.

I recently fitted an iridium plug, and I sense little, if any, difference.

I have never looked in the carb, as the bike has run flawlessly since we got it (used), and the plug is always a nice, toasty brown.

I use Silkolene because it's sold right up the street.

The mixture srew will make very subtle difference...rev and clean out the bike after each tweak. Idle speed won't change much, but smoothness will.

Our's is cold-blooded and is not an easy starter...especially after sitting for days or weeks.

I can leave the choke on almost until it's warmed up...I'm tempted to drill the starter jet.

hi guys

thanks for the input. Actually on recieving a 50 pilot jet from gas gas (next day delivery and very good service etc), it seems I was mistaken in identifying the 'problem' jet as the pilot jet. It looks like the jet I had identified as 60 is in fact the starter jet (a long thin brass item whose spec I can not find) - is that same as your Pandelboy? The number on my old pilot jet ( a tiny item located between the main jet and the starter jet) is impossible to read, but I think I'll fit the new one anyway. Searching around it seems that if the air screw adjustment causes no effect then it means that the pilot jet is the wrong size - perhaps I'll find that my pilot is a 60 after all which would be spooky!! Re the plug deal, having spoken to a number of gas gas dealers, the concensus is to use a BPR5ES and not a B9EG, so that's what I'll do. I can see a liitle weekend of tinkering ahead (& I haven't even got around to replacing the leaking fork seal or sorting out the dragging clutch...). Made me realise what a cracking bike the TY80 was/is.

Later

Hi Pandelboy

My W7 needle clip is also in its top slot - so your pilot was a 60 or did you also misidentify the jet like me. Do you know the spec of the starter jet? Also what happened to that email you were going to send me or did I misunderstand your email? I shall keep all informed of my progress. Off to get some Dextron III ATF this lunchtime for said beast - hopefully that will aleviate the clutch drag. If it does, perhaps I'll put some in my TY250R.

Later

Charlie, yours is very much played with, and I do not remember at this point which carb / slide ended up on yours.

We did a fair amount of slide cutting / jet swapping etc. between the 80's. If I remember right Charlie yours ended up with a pretty stock carb set up but I believe it had a shortened barrel and several other mods.

I would suggest contacting Les Mizell regarding setting up those 80's. He has done a number of them and had the carb slide cutting info on his site at one point. Not sure if they are still doing those mod's or not, it has been several years since I was playing with them.

If he is somewhat recovered from the Hurricanes it is www.etcycles.com I believe.

It would be worth calling Rooster Killian and talking to him a bit about it and writing it all down.

Doug and I did the carbs, we had a couple that we were swapping around back and forth with different slides etc. I know that one of the setups we had worked best on Christina's and the other one worked better on Ben's but I cannot remember which one got the basicly "stock" unit and which got the cut / modified unit.

I will try and remember to ask Rooster next time I see him what all he remembers about it.

Alan

did you manage to find any details of the rookie carb mods you mentioned - what were they supposed to do/improve?? the only mods I've found (on the gas gas USA site, Jim Snell) are raising the needle to full rich and cutting a v in the slide (though the picture/details are too small to see them accurately enough to actually do them).

http://www.etcycles.com/

Contact Les direct and he will have the latest that they are doing on the little GG's. He is running a couple of them I believe. I seem to remember grinding the bottom of the slide, and changing to a different needle or something, but I have slept once since doing those so my memory is more than hazy. I would also very likely suspect that they have developed more and better info then when I was playing with them.