Jt250 Vs Jtx270

kieran

I've just bought a 1998 JTX270 for my 15 year old step son to ride. Problem is, he had his first go on it and scared himself to death on it. We arn't looking towards competitions, just something to play on. I've advertised the bike on Ebay, and have been offered a JT250. The guy claims its far tamer than the JTX, and would be much suitable to learn on. What do you boys reckon?? :unsure:

Kieran :rolleyes:

I was 14, when i learnt to ride on a 99 160, it was a reasonable starter bike never really scared me, i still use it 2 and half years later, it does me fine.

But i must say the first time i rode a 250 i nearly crashed into a digger, as the power was just too strong.

Edited by Nitjay - HRC

the JT250 is probably a 94 or 95.

The 94/95 was long and low. Fairly easy to ride bike, but prone to frame breakage just above the cylinder. Had a plastic gas tank where the 98 has an Aluminum tank.

The 98 is a superior machine. Better frame, better engine, better suspension, better brakes. Easy to tame down. Like has been mentioned, make sure it has a slow black throttle tube, the white is the fast one.

Also retard the ignition slightly. That will tame it down a lot and make it much more rideable. It involves removing the flywheel and just loosening the two screws so you can turn the timing plate slightly. Easily done. Slows it down nicely and will even smooth out the power delivery. Doing this, you can make it as docilie as a 200.

Edited by Ridgrunr