VNUK consultation closing, action needed

2stroke4stroke

The Government consultation on this closes at the end of the month.  A petition has been set up via here http://www.fightvnuk.co.uk/petition.php and there is an update here http://www.mgcc.co.uk/vnuk-an-important-update/ , which seems to be more than the ACU has communicated.

The petition needs 10,000 signatures to get a response from the Government and 100,000 to be considered for a debate in Parliament.  It currently has just over 12,000 so will get a "response" but the numbers are hardly likely to persuade MPs that this is an important issue.  There are petitions on the site that have absolutely no chance of success but still attract around half a million signatures.  If motorsport disappears (it could not continue legally, as the insurance industry has informed us that it would be totally uninsurable, without some sort of exemption being granted) then I suppose we deserve it given our apparent apathy.  It seems incredible that the vast numbers of competitors and enthusiasts who would be affected are simply sitting back. 

Notwithstanding Boris Johnson's opposition to the measure (and I still can't decide if that is a good or bad thing for us), who are the politicians more likely to be influenced by; a handful of signatories or their pals at the head of the insurance industry who must be rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of the income from insuring lawn mowers, golf buggies, kids' electric cars, the new e-bikes etc where payouts will be minimal?

I urge you to sign the petition but, much more importantly, write to your MP as what is needed is more than an exemption for the sport; an exemption could only cover formal organised events so those practice sessions with your mates will be a thing of the past.  You will have to insure even to keep the bike in the shed and not use it and probably won't be able even to give your bike away such will be the state of the market.  Read what the link says about premium levels in Finland; 4000 Euros for insurance puts the cost of a new bike in to perspective. Not having insurance is being treated increasingly seriously - currently six to eight points on your licence with a fine on top.

The EU could alter the Motor Insurance Directive to avoid all this but seems to have no inclination to do so before the ruling would have to be implemented here, the opposition seeming to have fizzled out.  Difficult though it may be to change things at the current time I reckon it will be even harder to get it off Statute once we leave Europe, but by then the sporting industry would have collapsed anyway.

Act now.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 2

i ve signed but as neither the acu or the msa both of whom issue my licences have written to me expressing their concern and asking me to sign/ support i cannot see that it is important as is being infered..  on acu events i have compulsory third party insurance provided by the acu free of charge and the msa covers me to the same extent for a 30 odd quid an event supplement which seems fair.

There's no inference - all "vehicles" will apparently have to have insurance cover whether being used or not so current ACU type cover won't meet the requirements, leaving aside the necessary competitor to competitor cover which nobody will provide.  But yes it is disappointing that governing bodies, who may be active behind the scenes, have not been more communicative to members.

Though the weekly ACU mailing did mention it a while back.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

i've signed the petition.

150,000 people went on a march around London,and poured thousands of pounds into trying to stop a ban on hunting.  75 got hunting stopped.

Makes no odds what you think about hunting as that's not the point.Point is there's some sneaky *******s in the government.

In this case,you've no idea how far reaching it will be.Massive job losses in the UK surrounding motor sport.The knock on effect- that brand new Vertigo you just bought or Montesa,won't be worth a penny,the people who manufacture them will lose a good market and so on.

Be interesting how many have signed up to this ,considering the time it takes,every one of us should have done this,then got your mates to do it too.

Talk about fascistic laws.Just another way of stopping personal freedoms.

Edited by shyted

• 3 weeks later...

I see the petition has now crept up to 13,000 signatures.  It needs nearly ten times that number before the issue could be recommended for discussion in Parliament.  I can't see it reaching that with current apathy levels. 

The future does not look rosy.  Best visit the Scottish this year if you haven't been before.

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:46 PM, shyted said:

i've signed the petition.

150,000 people went on a march around London,and poured thousands of pounds into trying to stop a ban on hunting.  75 got hunting stopped.

Makes no odds what you think about hunting as that's not the point.Point is there's some sneaky *******s in the government.

In this case,you've no idea how far reaching it will be.Massive job losses in the UK surrounding motor sport.The knock on effect- that brand new Vertigo you just bought or Montesa,won't be worth a penny,the people who manufacture them will lose a good market and so on.

Be interesting how many have signed up to this ,considering the time it takes,every one of us should have done this,then got your mates to do it too.

Talk about fascistic laws.Just another way of stopping personal freedoms.

While I agree on the signing of the petition ( for what its worth), Hunting hasn't stopped, its just as popular as ever!! And offroad bike sport wont stop either,how its organised may alter but come sunday there will still be events to ride..

Hunting was not required to have insurance which the industry said it could not provide, which is what we are facing.  The new interpretation of the law has to be implemented - somebody will have to be persuaded to fight to get a reasonable way ahead.

How many MPs do you think would be quite happy to see this as a way of getting rid of off-road motorcycling at last?

You are right, the petition, at the moment, is worth not a lot but letters to MPs might do something.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

Yes 2stroke 4 stroke that is what they're trying to do I think as they are imposing more and more restrictions on motorcycle manufacturers and users. 

Continual hassle from the Police with stupid excuses to stop you for any reason they see fit like "safety check".

As regards hunting, i've bread some first rate running dogs and done my fair share of freezer filling and not for sport

• 5 months later...

I see the ABI have this week said that the necessary arrangements are "unworkable".  I suppose that pretty much guarantees that the Government will introduce them as they stand, ignoring any consultation.  As they have done historically with other matters.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

• 2 weeks later...