Texas National Day 1 no April Fools!

biffsgasgas

Crossing ribbon (might have been hard to tell if there was space between tire and ribbon without the video as we are allowed to ride on the ribbon just not on the other side of it) or Rolling backwards with a foot down is a 5 according to our local rules. Moving the right foot around would be a 3. Left foot dab after right foot would be a 2. Typically we don't get video evidence, so it depends more on what the observer observes... and we depend heavily on the honor system as often riders know better than the observers... which actually works well at our local events but we are in Nova Scotia not exactly expert level riders. 

Edited by michael_t

I have checked many national and world round in the past. Its tough and I can't say that I am a flawless checker. One thing I tell our checkers here is try to be fair and consistent. If one of the checkers read this please don't think that we are trying to single you out. I know that the camera isn't everywhere. 

--Biff

What a pointless competition that must have been, 5 for going over a tape 2 good individual dabs with plenty of foot movement and a backwoods move that was a definite 5 !  what's the point of a scoring system if it's not properly used, this is why sections get harder as riders think they are cleaning the sections that the hard working C of C's lay out and complain it's too easy !

The checker at the top of the hill has 2 fingers up. Marc only had a 1 and 3 for the day so this must be the 3. They caught the left dab and the double right dab so it was a good job observing. From their viewpoint, they didn't have a good angle of the front wheel going over the tape so gave him the benefit of the doubt. It cost Bryan Roper the podium though.

According to dirt rider he got a 3 in section 10 for "dragging his foot" as I read it...http://www.dirtrider.com/smage-leaves-texas-with-us-mototrials-point-lead

The caption above the video suggesting it was a 1 is hopefully wrong. A 3 would count for the right foot dab as well. I know crossing the tape is easy to see on the video but I could see how it may have been missed by the observers in the heat of the moment (given all the dabbing that was going on). Rolling back is also a tough call made much easier by video but when people are hoping around it is a fine line... kind of like stopping in no-stop trials.

Wouldn't it be great if our sport got full TV coverage and the observers could request a video play back when things got tight... :).

• Like 1