Matchless G5 as a trials base anyone

iconic558

Theres is a Matchless G5 for sale locally, the erm 'lightweight' series....

Anyone trialed one, or even know anything about them? I could just use it as a roadbike if it's a complete non-starter...in the trials sense. Bit of a curio thing, pudding basin, goggles , white scarf 'n glass of milk.

1960 350cc single....the fake unit engine one;)...you know, the one with big bulbous engine cases...similar (same as, bar name tags!) AJS model 8. Or a G2 250cc with 350 AJS 8 engine if you wish.

Edited by iconic558

Yup, and a backhoe on the rear end, there's a lot of tin work to hack off it for sure...should lighten it by half a ton....not sure where the other half would from come though?

But it has a certain charm, there are few things to wonder and enthuse over. For example, I like the rubber pads on the tank, to stop me bashing my legs when I fall off, that is forward thinking, even Beta REVS don't have this cutting edge safety feature.

Edited by iconic558

The works did try to trial one, with Hugh Viney at the helm, it lasted a couple of attempts, then they gave up - the prime difficulty apparently being trying to sort the gears into a 'triallable' cluster - Viney swopped on to a Fanny-B painted in James colours.

Looks a tidy rideable bike - but not on the rough......................

• 2 years later...