Beta 80 Frame Paint

kev40

This is what the paint looks like on, as you can see it's wearing off again where his boots rub, but it has had 11 months of wear and tear. Most of the Rev 50's/80's I've seen go like this and I think the only way to get around it would be to have the frame powder coated.

post-1239-1133358741.jpg

I use a silver engine enamel on the boys bikes. I just spray the high wear areas after every couple of rides. A sheet of card as a mask stops everything else ending up silver.

I don't think powder coating will stop the problem, just slow it down. I have worn through the coating on my old KTM which I restored three years ago. It looks terrible if I spray over it, and to fix it and all the stone chips, I have to get the whole frame sandblasted and redone. So next time I am going to use engine enamel on it too.

post-1239-1133547651.jpg

Yes ,the colour was a pretty good match. If you enlarge the photo and look, the area I painted was the frame from the footpegs to the point where the cable comes through under the fuel tank. The steering sleeve and the bolt-on section of the frame that goes down the front of the engine were both masked off and are the original colour. Theres also an area around the Beta decal that's original.

Before spraying, I removed all the rear end plastics,the footpegs, the air filter assembly, the rear brake pedal assembly and the swinging arm (I took the brake calliper off the swinging arm and let it hang loose.) I masked the Beta decal under the fuel tank after removing the tank and covered everything else that didn't want painting with a bin bag. Obviously, the area nearest the footpegs wanted the most paint but moving towards the steering sleeve, I tried to blend in by hardly putting any spray on. The paint I used was made by Hycote and is double acylic concentrated paint, the colour is aluminium. The address on the can is;

Hycote,

Salmon Fields,

Royton,

Oldham,

OL2 6HZ.

There's also a phone number: 061 6270983