Bultaco Model 27

nzpeterb

Hello all,

I have been lucky enough to purchase a 1968 Bultaco Sherpa Model 27. It has not run for 15 years and needs a full rebuild.

The previous owners have made some odd modifications such as mounting the stand on the left side and looks like they were going to have the brake and gear change on the right side.

At present I am trying to collect the correct parts to put the bike back to original.

One item I cannot find is a left side rear brake pedal.

I know some new replacements are sold with a serrated pedals like a more modern bike but the original has a solid pad more like the brake on a normal road bike.

The length is short being 175 mm (7 inches) from the centre of the pivot pin to the centre of the foot pad.

Any leads much appreciated.

Regards,

Peter.

feetupfun,

Thanks for the reply and kind offer.

I was hoping someone might have a suitable pedal in a box somewhere. Alternatively I was hoping to find and modify a Bultaco road bike pedal.

At this stage any photos and dimensions would be good and, given previous owners modifications I would also be very keen on photos and dimensions of the frame brackets for the brake pedal pivot and side stand pivot.

Regards,

Peter.

Here is I photo I have already showing the brake pedal. The bike in the photo is a very early M49 which shares many components with the M27, including the brake pedal.

I will take more photos to show the pedal and mount better, maybe taking the footrest off

I don't have any way to show the stand mount because I removed what was left of the broken-off mounting.

IMAG0103.jpg

• Like 1

Hi nzpeterb, it's peterb here from NZ! I had a new original Bultaco bake lever just like the one you are after for years, then used it for a BSA B40 that is now parked up in the Hamilton Motorcycle centre, in Hamilton. If you were stuck, you could contact someone there to ask about that. Can't help with a prop stand. Bye, Peter B.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks 71zman for the reply. I have sent an enquiry off to the seller.

I have not heard from feetupfun with any dimensions for length, but I am also not sure now that his early M49 brake pedal is the same as what I need for a model 27.

I have received photos of a model 10 pedal and this is straight rather than bent. The photos I have found on the web of model 27's are also straight. I have attached a crop from a photo off the web.

Regards,

Peter. 

Bultaco M27 Brake Pedal.jpg

14 hours ago, nzpeterb said:

Thanks 71zman for the reply. I have sent an enquiry off to the seller.

I have not heard from feetupfun with any dimensions for length, but I am also not sure now that his early M49 brake pedal is the same as what I need for a model 27.

I have received photos of a model 10 pedal and this is straight rather than bent. The photos I have found on the web of model 27's are also straight. I have attached a crop from a photo off the web.

Regards,

Peter. 

Bultaco M27 Brake Pedal.jpg

Yes I bent mine to get the tip the right height after replacing the fixed footpegs with folding footpegs. I see the arm that the rod connects to on mine is at a completely different angle too

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I too picked up a Sherpa M27 which had stood in an open barn since 1980.. Before and progress to date pics attached.

My main problems were the tank - eventually replaced it with a Terry Weedy alloy job - and missing front pipe - I have had to heavily mod a club foot item. Still a bit to do but close to the first firing up (I hope)

Good luck with your project and if I can help please get in touch

5b0d2ee82e125_Tacoaswas.jpg.27ddd72d33be7142f1952d101a8eb1a2.jpg5b0d3043c3299_Tacoasis.jpg.bd5f2367c6aded58b840b4697e7d9043.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for the photos. It looks like you are nearly there. The alloy tank is an option I hadn't found. The Terry Weedy site has a few interesting parts for old trials bikes.

My tank also needs replacement as someone has put something in it that has caused the tunnel to sag  so it no longer fits over the frame tube. Then, perhaps because it leaked, they have filled the bottom of the tank with epoxy including the balance tubes and fuel tap. This is one of a number of modifications done by previous owners that defy logic.

Another is cutting the outlet bend off the air box and welding it on the right hand side of the air box, then making brackets to run the exhaust outside the frame so it clears the new air box outlet. There is more, but you get the idea.

I have purchased a replacement fibreglass tank from Spain but it is now 5 weeks since it was sent so starting to get nervous about whether it has been lost. That is one of the issues with living remote from Europe/UK.

I have attached a photo of my bike as purchased.

Good luck with your project, and please post again once you are finished.

regards,

Peter.

Bultaco M27.jpg

• 9 months later...

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2018 at 10:29 AM, nzpeterb said:

Hello all,

I have been lucky enough to purchase a 1968 Bultaco Sherpa Model 27. It has not run for 15 years and needs a full rebuild.

The previous owners have made some odd modifications such as mounting the stand on the left side and looks like they were going to have the brake and gear change on the right side.

At present I am trying to collect the correct parts to put the bike back to original.

One item I cannot find is a left side rear brake pedal.

I know some new replacements are sold with a serrated pedals like a more modern bike but the original has a solid pad more like the brake on a normal road bike.

The length is short being 175 mm (7 inches) from the centre of the pivot pin to the centre of the foot pad.

Any leads much appreciated.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter, this is the original rear brake and kickstart mounting brackets..

Hope these help

B2248286-7C17-47C1-8F37-01A00EC1F6E5.jpeg

85DD6326-2503-4981-A67E-82E4323AB2F9.jpeg

629CAE95-A695-4582-997B-7424B3055CF3.jpeg

24C0B748-34E4-4731-9DA1-78BC7F73F652.jpeg