gasgas JTX 200 questions

fastride09

I am looking to purchase a trials bike soon to try out this type of riding. I rode plenty of other types of bikes before but never a trails bike. Im not looking to spend a whole lot on one since it will be just something to play around with and have fun with. there is a 97 gas gas jtx 200 for sale in excellent condition that needs nothing and in great running condition. he is asking $1400 for it but thinking about offering $1200, is that a good price for it? Can I still get parts for it pretty easy or would it be hard to get parts? Another question, i was looking at  250cc or above, will the 200cc have enough of power? im 6' 195lbs. I read the actual size of the engine is 163cc. there is also a 99 gasgas txt 270 for sale close by. its not in as good as shape as the JXT but its 270cc, also he is firm at $1800 on that. should i just go with the JTX200 and its $600 cheaper. 

I’d be inclined to just sit back and reappraise the situation. As you say you are tall and weigh a bit. Maybe look out for other bikes a bit further afield, see what else would be better suited to you and of course prices. Money differences should not be your buying criteria, you’ll rue the day you buy a wrong bike. Try a few if you can a 270 or 300 may be your style, or possibly a good 250. As you haven’t confirmed the guy selling the 200 will accept $1200 so it’s not $600 cheaper it’s only $400. The fact that the 200 is in very good condition doesn’t necessarily mean it’s been well looked after it could mean it’s not been used much. As you say that you have ridden plenty of other bikes but never a trails bike then you also need to check you are in the right sport as it’s TRIALS bikes you are talking about, totally different to trails bikes. You may even consider a four stroke if your funds run to it. Find someone that’s ridden Trials and ask their opinion, ask a few people and get more infornpmation so you end up with the right machine.?

• 3 years later...