315r Clutch Too Sharp

tony b

I have a 2000 Montesa 315R. The bike is great but the clutch action makes it difficult to feed power on smoothly. I was using Silkolene light gear oil but am now trying Motorex fully sinthetic gear oil. The plates look OK. Has anyone tried weaker clutch springs or even left any out? Havn't tried it but it was just a thought! Any help or advice would be much appreciated. :rolleyes:

FIRSTLY, CHECK THAT THE PLATES ARE NOT WARPED OR SHOWING SIGNS OF BLUEING. tHEN TRY EITHER SIILKOLENE PRO SRG7 CLUTCH OIL, OR ELF HTX740. TORQUE THE SPRINGS TO THE RECOMMENDED PRESSURE, AND YOU SHOULD BE SORTED! YOU MIGHT HAVE TO ORDER THE OIL AS IT IS NOT TO READILY AVAILABLE. iT DOES WORK BETTER THAN THE OFF THE SHELF ITEMS THOUGH AND SHOULD ALSO PREVENT THE DREADED LURCH WHEN YOU INITIALLY LET THE CLUTCH OUT. Please excuse the Caps lock, just realised that it was on.

good luck

I recently read a thread somewhere that a Sureflex clutch cured the 315 clutch drag problem, but was not as progressive as the stock one. The stock clutch has a mix of cork and other fibre plates that is supposed to make for progressive engagement. Maybe you have the Sureflex plates. From what I've figured out, the overall cure for any 315 clutch problem is new/good plates properly assembled and the Silkolene SRG75 light oil.

By all means go for the sureflex plates, if your current clutch is goosed, but i found the difference in using the right oil was dramatic. My old 315 (03) and (99) both had stock plates. I tried a cr250 ,motocrosser plates, but found it worse than the stockers to be honest. The sureflex plates get good reviews, and may solve your problems.I suspect that they are probably the way to go, with good oil.

All the best!

Thanks Monty and Don. I've just been out riding with the fresh Motorex oil and noticed an improvement but will try the Elf or silkolene oils you suggest to see if it further improves the smoothness.

Cheers

I too have suffered from the dreaded clutch drag on my 4rt....tried many 75 light oils,,,,,,so far have been having best results with automatic transmission oil ......I also change the oil every 2 or three times out ...............masso