Won't idle and revs hanging

paulharr

Hi.  My evo 2009, after not using for a few weeks, has developed a bit of an issue.  It started with me noticing that the revs would not drop when it had been revved hard. This was after I raised the tick over a little as it was a bit cold and wanted it to idle to warm up while I gotsome kit ready. 

Now im in a situation where to get it to tick over, the revs hang on revving.  If I drop the idle adjustment down, the revs will drop fine, but it won't idle.

any ideas 

Also check for air leaks. While running a quick spray of quick start around the intake manifold and the case joint around the reed cage. If the engine changes you have a leak. Check for a broken reed which will affect low RPM running. As stated above disassemble and blow out carb jets. 

Be very careful with the starting fluid. Use only outside and have an extinguisher handy. Very flammable.

On 28/10/2018 at 7:14 PM, paulharr said:

Hi.  My evo 2009, after not using for a few weeks, has developed a bit of an issue.  It started with me noticing that the revs would not drop when it had been revved hard. This was after I raised the tick over a little as it was a bit cold and wanted it to idle to warm up while I gotsome kit ready. 

Now im in a situation where to get it to tick over, the revs hang on revving.  If I drop the idle adjustment down, the revs will drop fine, but it won't idle.

any ideas 

Fuel gumming up the carb interior and jets. Modern fuel goes stale very quickly, unless of course you drained the tank before leaving the bike standing. Carb strip and carefully clean out jets. 

Update.

stripped and cleaned the carb for the 3rd time, nothing obvious.  Took the reed block off, cleaned and replaced, nothing obvious again.  Throttle cable was very slightly kinked, so changed out for a lined new one.  All reassembled and now working fine.   Then only thing I found was the very minor kink in the throttle cable, which I can not see as being the issue, but as it’s now working fine, going to stop worrying and just ride it.

thanks for your help