Don Smith

trial pat

:D Hello gentlemen

On my visit back in May 2003 I met Don Smith on the evening of 1st Scottish Pre65 day at the Clachaig Inn, where I stayed with my father. It was about 7 pm and I had a beer at the pub, during my father Mark (80 years old)had a nap before dinner. Next table to me where 2 gentlemen, one was smoking selfmade cogarettes. I asked him, if he would mind me smoking a ciagar? "Of course not, go ahead!". I asked the two seniors, what the were doing here? "Watching the Pre65!" one guy answered. "Years ago, I competed myself, but I never won".."Oh, you must have been good, then" I answered, " Whats your name?" I asked getting courious. "Don Smith." ??? "You must be joking" "No, no, this is my former competition manager Bill Broker" .. Ok, the guy smoked since 30 min one cigarette after the other, and quickly I found out, that it must be true.

Me and my father talked till midnight and I learned a lot of stories, about Greeves, Montesa and low salaries at that time, etc. So I got to know Don. Next day and on the 6days I met him & Bill several times. Sadly, he passed away 1 year later.

Does anybody have more info / links to a page about Don's career ?

I would like to make a page on our club homepage in Switzerland.

Thanks Patrick

post-986-1136838498.jpg

yeah! what a great man he was! i met him shortly before his death at the eborocurum 2day trial when he came up with peter gaunt to watch! my old banger brokedown on the 1st day and i got chatting to him later on. the following day my wonderful father had managed to fix the old girl and i got to ride the 2 day. Don followed me, dad and peter round some of the sections and we all had a great day.

the highlight though came at the end of the trial when we where back at the car's when don popped over to say bye and just before he left he said i was a really good trials rider for a pen pusher. :D

that comment is gonna stay with me for the rest of my life and i feel proud to have met the legend who is don smith!!

• Like 1