Evo or rev 3 ?

burns1989

Hi all I'm looking to buy a trials bike again i had a 2006 rev 3 250 and did like it but sold it a few years ago , but now looking to get back into it again , could any one tell me how much better or difrentvthe evo is to the rev 3 and that's in 250 cc format . Pluss I'm also leaning to a 300cc posibly but would like to know if it's worth going up 50cc. Thanks ian

3 minutes ago, burns1989 said:

Hi all I'm looking to buy a trials bike again i had a 2006 rev 3 250 and did like it but sold it a few years ago , but now looking to get back into it again , could any one tell me how much better or difrentvthe evo is to the rev 3 and that's in 250 cc format . Pluss I'm also leaning to a 300cc posibly but would like to know if it's worth going up 50cc. Thanks ian

More like approx 30 cc. Go for it get a 300, you’ve had a 250 so previous experience should help you deal with any percieved extra shove from the engine. Alot of riders prefer the 250 but then thats because the bike does everything they want it to. Try and get a go on a few before paying to own one.

Yeah I gues so for the extra oomph won't bother me if got a few sports bikes ect 1000cc so a 300 is alot softer but has power on tap but more torque I'd guess. But I'd like to know more on the differences of the evo and rev 3 . Cheers 

yeah I know hence why I'm looking at an evo but not too sure about the 2016 on wards as I know they changed the engine for the sake of the eu emissions so I'm unsure how the power delivery is as I like a good strong snap of power up and go but good low end torque as well , does any one know where is best to test ride them if shops allow that ?

21 hours ago, burns1989 said:

Yeah I gues so for the extra oomph won't bother me if got a few sports bikes ect 1000cc so a 300 is alot softer but has power on tap but more torque I'd guess. But I'd like to know more on the differences of the evo and rev 3 . Cheers 

errr horses for courses, a pent up 300 (250 even) in a tight turn on muddy going or rocks can be an even bigger handful than a 1000cc Sportbike. Get the newest Evo that you can afford, EU emissions wont have spoilt the engine otherwise the manufacturer would not be able to sell them to competitive riders.

4 hours ago, section swept said:

errr horses for courses, a pent up 300 (250 even) in a tight turn on muddy going or rocks can be an even bigger handful than a 1000cc Sportbike. Get the newest Evo that you can afford, EU emissions wont have spoilt the engine otherwise the manufacturer would not be able to sell them to competitive riders.

Sounds like my sort of bike lol yeah I know they wouldn't be able to do so. I will be using it as a road bike for work some days of the week as well to ride to my locale wood,  would I have to run a stronger oil fuel mix if ridding on the road as 70.1 seems abit week for road ridding or has any one had no problems as I know they sit at idle and burst of throtle  for obstacles ect. As I know it would tequer up jetting due to more oil being mixed with the fuel . 

When I got off my beloved 2008 Rev3 onto the 2013 EVO I was surprised at the difference in finding traction in the slippery stuff. The EVO just tracked better, climbed better and felt like an all around more planted ride. What's interesting is the difference between my 2013 and 2018 EVOs is much smaller and I can happily hop on the 2013 without any change to my riding. When I tried to ride my '08 I got off thinking, "How the hell did I ever ride this thing?"

The answer is, of course, badly but that's more my lack of ability. But the EVO is worlds better without losing that Beta feel.

I am new to trials and cannot bring much to the debate about the handling and so on of the two models even though I have ridden both.  I recently bought a Rev 3 and I like it a lot.  However the silencer and subframe issue is enough that I wish i had spent a bit more and bought an EVO.  Look at all the modern bikes and the exhaust is tucked away in a much better design like the EVO has.  I hope that I get the chance to see if I can fit an EVO pipe to the Rev 3 - the question seems if the rear shock is in the way.

The Rev is a good bike, of that there is no doubt.  I find the gearbox to be a bit agricultural and the clutch stick issue annoys me but it is a great (and inexpensive) bike to learn on (and boy is there a lot to learn).

The missus is learning with me and at some point will need her own bike.  It most probably will be an EVO (unless I can con her into having mine then I will buy an EVO for me..) I will upgrade mine when the money allows for it.  If you weigh up initial purchase cost plus all the mods needed to sort out the exhaust the EVO would have been cheaper long run.

Go for the EVO.

5 hours ago, burns1989 said:

Well I'm leaning towards the evo 300 but not the supper soft as I like a good strong motor or is it more to do with the throttle being more precise as in more travel which opens the throtle slide less sort of thing 

Are you actually going to be doing/learning trials on this or is it just for playing about in the woods?

I believe the supersoft just has a flywheel weight and a slow throttle. still just as much power but easier to control the punch off the bottom and spins up slower, giving better traction.