315 front brake upgrade options

ar22

I am sure this has been asked before but I dont seem to be able to make the search function work

so apologies in advance

I have a 2000 315 with a Gremica master cylinder and 2 pot caliper and as many will know, the brake is poor

whats my options to improve it ?

4 pot caliper 

new master cylinder 

or both above ?

if what make etc 

better modern pads ?

many thanks 

5 hours ago, b40rt said:

thanks for the replies, I have tried deglazing pads etc but it doesnt last long'

I assume a better master cylinder from a more modern bike would create better braking even with the 2 pot, but which one fits ?

I have heard of fitting a 4 pot directly on but it seems its only marginally better and that the master cylinder needs changed too.  

7 hours ago, brewtus said:

The Grimica works best when removed and gently placed on a shelf to gather dust.  The "large body" AJP that came on later 315Rs are vastly better, hence the reason they replaced the Grimicas.  :thumbup:

seems to be the main culprit of the rubbish brake, I will order one and report back 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 8:52 PM, ar22 said:

seems to be the main culprit of the rubbish brake, I will order one and report back 

I received my Ajp (large) master cylinder and a set of Galfer pads

The master cylinder was a direct replacement for the Gremica, the brake hose fitted straight on in a few minutes and bled up easily. 

I haven't ridden the bike yet but the lever had much more feel to it, before it was very wooden and pushing it up and down the garage it now seems much sharper. 

will report back when I get a good run on it and bed the new pads in. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

had the 315 out today and can report a vastly improved front brake 

the lever has much more feel, before it was very wooden

it not as sharp as our Beta evo brake but still very acceptable. 

I am still using the standard caliper, I suppose if I want more power I will have to fit a 4 pot but I doubt I will do that, unless I get offered one cheap. 

thanks