kevlar clutch

the dabster

Evening,

Wondering how the guys that have bought the 19 gasser with the Kevlar clutch are getting on with them,  There was obviously a problem with the 18's and I wouldn't replace with the new model unless they had made this change.  The 18's had the three way adjustable ring but I'm not sure it worked as it should have, is the 19 clutch adjustable via this method and how is it adjusted and to what effect?  Also is the front brake better on this model than last years?

Edited by the dabster

I have an '18 (and I've had a '17 and a '14). It (the stock clutch) is perfectly fine. There was and is no problem with them... they've been the same design for eternity, if they were broken no one would buy them. I've also put Xiu (kevlar) clutches in a few of my GG's, and they work exactly the same... There's little difference in feel, provided the clutch pack is the same thickness as the one being compared to. 

The adjustable preload ring on all bellville spring bikes that have one works by the same principle: it's a stepped ring, so you pull out all the retaining bolts, spin the ring to line it up with the setting you want, and bolt it back on. And yes, this works exactly as it should on the '18. 

This is a Xiu adjustable ring, but the one in the '18 is the same thing but a different color.

Schermata 2019-01-15 alle 7.13.20 PM.png

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info and the picture.  I probably didn't word my question as well as I could have.  I have had a new one myself every year since 13' and never had a problem with any of the clutches till this current one.  I thought I imagined the lever getting stiffer but I'm also bothered with tendonitis so didn't think much more about it until I tried the clutch on another bike and realised there was a problem.  I spoke to someone knowledgeable about it and he inferred quite a few 18's had this problem and advised me to dress the fibre plates on fine wet and dry as they were swelling?  I also know someone that does a lot of work on trials bikes and he confirmed he had done quite a few.  There was also some info about the composition of the fibre plates having less asbestos which was replaced with an alternate material that was proving absorbent.  Sounds feasible enough and certainly concurs with my experience.  Add to this the switch to Kevlar and it all makes sense.

I can’t agree with this particularly, I have had a clutch that is very wishy washy, bite point changing, never very positive, that on a 17. 

Spoken to few riders and they have had the same thing with 17,18 bikes. 

Both very very good riders!

one said 18 bike was ok to start with then gradually got worse. 

Ive finally got the xui full system in my GG and going to try out today, fingers crossed...

ill post when I get back to give the low down!

yeah my 18 was perfect initially and then it felt like it was getting pumped up via the blade as I was riding it and the clamping point became weaker. When I dressed the fibre plates I overdone it and ended up buying an aftermarket clutch and was then introduced to how critical the pack thickness was etc. 

Due to change bikes now and keep getting drawn to the new factory beta, wouldn't repeat these clutch issues again but gasgas appear to have redeemed themselves with the change to Kevlar, hence my original question.

I remember now it was the coolant pump that was leaking on some of the 18's and some thought the coolant was affecting the fibre plates and others attributed it to certain gear oils. who knows, the only thing I do know with  certainty is it is a major PITA and bad enough to make me consider jumping to beta.  Be good to know how you find the new clutch when you have tried it.

16 hours ago, the dabster said:

Thanks for the info and the picture.  I probably didn't word my question as well as I could have.  I have had a new one myself every year since 13' and never had a problem with any of the clutches till this current one.  I thought I imagined the lever getting stiffer but I'm also bothered with tendonitis so didn't think much more about it until I tried the clutch on another bike and realised there was a problem.  I spoke to someone knowledgeable about it and he inferred quite a few 18's had this problem and advised me to dress the fibre plates on fine wet and dry as they were swelling?  I also know someone that does a lot of work on trials bikes and he confirmed he had done quite a few.  There was also some info about the composition of the fibre plates having less asbestos which was replaced with an alternate material that was proving absorbent.  Sounds feasible enough and certainly concurs with my experience.  Add to this the switch to Kevlar and it all makes sense.

Given that the use of asbestos has been illegal since some time towards the end of last century, Gas Gas will never have had the material in any clutch.

Well, I’ve had 5 hours on it, I’m laying on bed now, I’m creamed, and my back is smashed....

clutch is a lot better at biting, before it seems a bit like launch control, not putting power to rear wheel cleanly, if you understand?

still have a prob with lever creeping to bars, not all the time intermittently?

especially when bike is inverted upwards??

ive got home and changed master cylinder to an AJP, larger reservoir type, I know braktec have had a few issues. 

Just had wizz round garden, doesn’t seem much different, but need to try properly  

Not sure what the next move is, if no better?

3183E2AE-DE3C-4B6A-BA4C-FA1DE165D43F.jpeg

Edited by imexian
Grammer