Dudley Trial, The Old Mine, Kinlet

doogle

It's a very good venue but any trial depends upon how it is used. It is mainly wooded bankings which offer big climbs, cambered climbs, mud holes etc. with potential for big open and flowing sections. If the sections are right 4th gear could be in play on some, depends on what the weather does with the ground. If it's wet, then it's very slippy.

I've ridden it several times, it usually takes a few marks and hopefully the sections will again be of the open variety rather than tight up your own jacksy, hinge required in bike crap. There are a couple of muddy streams running through it, one has a few rocks but obviously we're not talking Yorkshire standard rockery here.

Hopefully 2 laps of 20 sections again, it's always been a good event but obviously nothing is guaranteed. If you like only dry rocky going or rocky streams then maybe not for you, but if you like getting the bike wound up in slippery going then give it a try. It has been used as a group in previous Vic Brittain trials.

Re; Earl Shilton, I was speaking to someone at a trial last week and they mentioned that you need a hinge in your bike to ride their events as they are a bit on the tight side. Now I've never ridden there so don't know but that is what was said, but obviously it was only that person's personal opinion.

I'd happily endorse the Old Mine as decent venue. The thing about the place is that it gives an organiser scope to set out hard / easy and tight / open sections as they see fit. I've also ridden a few Dudley trials and found them pretty good events.

Dabster, you mention Burycliffe and Bracken Rocks practice venues. I'm just getting back into things after a couple of years mainly off the bike, do you have contact details or directions for these venues. Presumably they are 100% legal.

Neil

I was talking to Lynda, Pete and Scott from the Dudley club yeterday. They usually run two laps of 20 sections.

There will be two routes as per all Midland Centre Championships. A clubman/over40 route which is usually won on a low score but gives a fair days sport for less experienced riders, and the Expert/Inter route which looks awful scary to me.

I think Kinlet is a cracking venue. No there are not any rocks, but it's about as varied as any other venue in the Midland Centre.

Streams, muddy climbs, steep banks and roots. Normally with a well spaced out event.

Glad to hear the clubs being well supported, our South Shrops club trial attracted 148 riders the other week..must be something in the water !.

I myself think Kinlet is a good venue in the summer but far too muddy for my liking in the winter..rode it a few times in the old Vic Brittian trial.....

I only live 15 mile away but the mud gets me down so I'm off into Mid wales to have some of that great welsh countryside :closedeyes: .

Yep, sure was muddy. But what a good trial, never more than three or four riders in the queue, two routes, 20 sections all observed.

I only fell off once and that was dropping down to section 14. My word that was a drop!

Really enjoyed the trial, finished on just over 30 on the B route but I feel sure it will be won on about a dozen.

Can't say about the A route, looked a bit hairy to me.

Strange feeling we were in the inter centre trial with so many new faces plus a good contingent from the Western Centre led by Barry Husband. Nice to see those guys riding in the Midlands.

A genuinely good event, well done to Pete, Linda and Scott Cartwright of the Dudley Club.

Can someone tell me the logic behind the 'group' series ?

My two local clubs that I've ridden for in the past (South Shrops and Mkt Drayton) never seem to stand a chance when we used to have only about 4~6 riders entered....I can recall 20 + riders riding for Dudley or some of the other clubs in the Midlands.

Its a non starter really..or am I missing the point somewhere ? :closedeyes:

Edited by Marky G