Sherco 50cc Stator problems

Mal8504925

I Have recently been given a 50cc Sherco that’s not working to try fix for my wee lad to use. It’s fitted with a Polini Motori Engine. Tried to start it first (to see what it was needing and quickly discovered fuel tank is blown so know one of the first things I need) so I put small 1ltr tank and and tried it again. Bike felt like it wanted to start but felt like timing was out as it was kicking at the wrong point. I checked and it had a good spark. Stripped off flywheel and noticed holes had been elongated on stator plate. On closer inspection I kind cracks found through most of the stator plate. Does anyone have any idea where I can get a new one from or best method to repair my existing one. Thanks for any help offered. Mal 

image.jpg

image.jpg

A06985E2-5D43-4B65-BD7D-1BC1F6C1C4CB.jpeg

A competent welder should be able to repair that easily, there's no real stress on it so doesn't have to be super strong. Possible cause being the stator was loose for some time. Where are you so people can recommend a welder. 

3 minutes ago, Mal8504925 said:

Hi b40rt thanks for the reply. I’m in Fife (Scotland) my only concern was the available space to fit a weld repair and the chance of shattering what is there with heat stress. 

@breagh Alan can you recommend anyone ?  I'm sure the plate would be ok being welded. 

It's fairly common for people to elongate the stator plate mounting holes to alter ignition timing.  The amount of elongation I see there would only be a few degrees.  That should not prevent it from starting. 

I would use epoxy for repair.  Have no idea if JB Weld epoxy is available where your are, but I recommend it.  https://www.jbweld.com/collections/epoxy-adhesives/products/j-b-weld-twin-tube

Really, almost any epoxy would work -- preferable with a 24-hour curing time.   I've even used Fiberglas resin on stator plates. 

HOWEVER... I think those stators are a know electrical failure item on the small Polini motors (a friend had an MX version with that trouble).   I suggest talking to your Polini importer.