exhaust sealant and hard to find neutral on Evo on first outing

ar22

had the 2012 Evo 300 out today for the first time. 

couple of minor issues

the exhaust was spitting oily mess from the mid joint, I had the exhaust off last week and had fitted 2 new o rings. I will remove it again check the o rings are intact but refit with sealant to ensure a good seal.

will silicon do the trick or is there some else I should get ?

I ran it at 50:1 as I had it mixed, I think I better reduce the oil a bit as per the book. and repack the silencer. 

clutch seems great, no dragging even when cold etc but while the bike is running it is very hard to find neutral from 1st, its a bit easier from 2nd 

any ideas ?

thanks 

6 minutes ago, suzuki250 said:

I run 50:1 with no problems

all trials bikes are hard to find neutral, it gets easier with practice :thumbup: 

cheers 

I think I will drop to 60:1

this is really hard to get neutral, almost impossible 

I struggled with the neutral for a while (it is essentially the same gearbox and clutch).  After using the NanoTrans for a while it is much much easier.  I think there is still some drag on the Beta clutches even if they appear to work OK.  I have no idea what the NanoTrans has in it or how it is different but I can say that it certainly has made a difference.  The old Beta is easier than my new TRS.

In my experience of lots of trials bikes..all the clutches drag very slightly.because of the beefy clutch required  for trials..the only true cure is a high quality billet basket and regular oil changes (light gear oil)  OR blip the throttle and finger it

thanks for all the replies

I read every post in "the clutch fix" with great interest and realise a lot are having dragging issues also causing neutral issues too. But our clutch did seem ok when cold, its nice and light and just slicked into first without even a jolt forward. 

I will take it out and give it a good clean anyway but it seems its a Beta thing and we may have to just live with it. 

I will also reduce the oil mix as recommended, better just check my 315 Montesa can run so low as I wont be making 2 mixes

12 hours ago, tshock250 said:

80:1 synthetic is more than enough, & is what most people seem to use. I have a ‘19 evo 300 & it’s a devil to find neutral.

I would be interested in this though, if anyone has the answer

22 hours ago, mcman56 said:

I have heard rumours that the latest model Evo has some minor change that makes it easier to find neutral.  It sounded like a minor parts change.  Does anyone have details?

it was only my sons first day out on the 300 after moving from a  125 Sherco, seemed a nice running, easy starting  bike with obviously plenty of power, any set up hints or mods that make it better would be appreciated, (I am not very good with the search function on this forum)

thanks again

20 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

The search function on this and many other forums is rubbish (they all use the same software). You’ll get better results by going to Google and adding ”trials central” to your search term.

thanks 

that is handier 

On 4/1/2019 at 11:57 PM, trapezeartist said:

The search function on this and many other forums is rubbish (they all use the same software). You’ll get better results by going to Google and adding ”trials central” to your search term.

after a few nights doing the search with google and "trials central..............." I have found more threads covering all my topics and other things I only thought about than I can believe. 

so apologies to those who have looked at them and said "that has been asked 20 times before" and rolled their eyes 

I was actually a bit embarrassed as the neutral selection issue it seems has been talked about to death

thanks, its a great site full of great info (if you can find it) 

• Like 1