Looking for opinion on old Enduro

Lee halsall

Hi folks ,been asking loads of questions from the Bultaco enthusiasts about Alpina models . I was looking for a project but in the mean time this came up ,I think it's an M54 250 from around 1974 , and I am tempted . I had a Cota , 40 years ago ,bought as a box of bits and assembled, seemed a decent bike at the time .

What can you tell me from the photo , has it got the correct bits on it ,I have been looking at google images and every one seems slightly different . Is the power output 19 bhp ? so really a trial bike like the Alpina ? Anything I should be cautious about ?

All advise appreciated 

IMG_2725.PNG

That's the V75 based endure bike. We had a couple of the M/X versions, a proper V75 and a Rickman framed one which was a dog. Engine wise they are quite tough with only the motosplat letting the side down occasionally. I remember that the final drive sprocket was difficult to remove and required a big hydraulic puller, but then i had one fall off whilst racing. Suspension wasn't the best it needed leading axle forks with more travel to match the rear and the standard remote resevoir shocks weren't up to much

Thanks for the replies , your saying it's MX based but why has it got passenger footrests ? Does that not point to it being a trail bike and not a serious enduro .

I can't find any engine specs on the web ,unlike Bultaco which seems to be very well documented . I have been getting a bit disillusioned in my search for a Bultaco project due to quite high prices for bikes that need a lot of parts /work  so this Montesa seemed reasonable . Got to ask ,how is the parts situation for Montesa ,are they generally cheaper but is that because they aren't as good a Bultaco . I read an American review which said they were heavy and not particularly nice handling ,the same piece was particularly scathing of the king Scorpion trail bike and I wonder if the bike in the pic is closer to the King Scorpion than the Cappra .