2013 250 Racing - Rear Spring Rates?

ticket2ride

Evening all, 

Looking for a bit of advice on spring rates.

I've got a 2013 250 Racing with the Reiger rear shock - standard spring.

I'm about 12st and with lots of preload, still feels a bit too soft, sat in travel.

But, looks like there are loads of spring options, in 2.5Nm increments...which doesn't seem much?

Anyone have any experience of swapping out the standard spring?

Thanks,

21 hours ago, wheelieman14 said:

Stock Reiger spring was 70N. I tried 72.5N & 75.0N springs and didn't see much difference over stock spring. Still have 80N spring that I liked the best; since I sold bike with 75N spring. Very little difference between 2.5Nm steps.

I thought the stock was 62.5? How much do you (did you!!) weigh? Yep, that's my feeling. £100 per spring, struggling to see a 2.5Nm change!

12 st comes out to be about 168 lbs. I weigh about 200 lbs (~14.5 stone), but was around 220 to 230 lbs wearing all my riding gear and lugging around water to drink in a back pack (Camel Bak). At 12 st, I would think the stock 70Nm rear spring should be fine for you. Looking at the above Reiger Spring chart, I'm about 100 kg (dressed) so the 80Nm spring seemed to be appropriate for a beginner Trials rider. Your stock spring should have its spring rate painted on it. Try increasing to around 5 to 8mm of spring preload to see if that helps. Another thing to consider is that as your skills improve, you might get more comfortable with softer springs and more compliant suspension. I run long-travel Ohlins shocks on my Beta Evo Trials bikes and like the softest springs I can find. My son is running 55N spring on Evo 125 Factory. I'm running 65N spring on my Evo 200 and 63N spring on my Evo 300 that's fitted with Longest travel Ohlins shock and Remote Reservoir. I've also lost about 20 lbs, so overall everything seems to work better. I'm riding my 5th season of competition and consider myself an average Intermediate rider now.

Edited by wheelieman14
updated to suggest softer suspension